The Mondial 8 was unveiled in Geneva as a replacement for the Dino 308 GT4, again in four-seat configuration and with a mid-engine, mounted in front of the rear wheel axle. After the experiment with Bertone and the GT4, Maranello returned permanently to Pininfarina, continuing the theme of the wedge line with radiator grille under the front bumper. The wheelbase of the Mondial 8 was 10cm longer than the car it replaced and with a wider track, giving more passenger room. The interior was very smart, with a wealth of standard features. It was larger in line with the sizes of 12-cylinder models. The car had big bumpers, two striking air inlets on the side panels, pop-up headlamps and even an optional sunroof. Because of its content, and in terms of ergonomics, reduced fuel consumption and emissions, the Mondial was defined as Ferrari’s first “world car”, or even as a “democratic supercar”, given it was much cheaper than the V12s. Indeed, the name itself might suggest that, but it actually had another double meaning: a tribute to the F1 World Championship won a year earlier and the 500 Mondial barchetta of 1953, named in honour of Ascari’s world championship triumph.