Staff's Blog

Sepang, race to pay back

April 4, 2009 · Posted by Staff

We made a mistake and there’s no point for finding excuses. What happened this morning in the qualifying for tomorrow’s Malaysian GP was an erroneous evaluation of our potential and the strategy worked against Felipe. His 16th fastest lap time hurts, because the Team was and is convinced that Q1 reflects the real performance on the track. But, dear friends, to have that confirmed we have to wait until tomorrow. It won’t be easy for Kimi either, starting from row four and we have to pay lots of attention to the KERS and the F60’s overall reliability. But we’re optimistic as far as the race is concerned. It’s time to turn the page.

Well this was a difficult qualifying for the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, but tomorrow is another day. Sepang is a circuit with long straights and fast corners. If the Scuderia reacts well and understood the mistakes they made at the start of the season, then things will change a lot. Tyre-wear and reliability are two main points the technicians from Maranello have worked a lot on the F60. The slicks should be more resistant compared to the season’s first GP, while the single-seaters’ reliabilities in the first race should have been a one-off, when the Felipe and Kimi both had to retire before the end of the race. The Finnish driver won already twice at Sepang and came in first last year.

"The Team’s motivation is high. It’s not the first time they have to deal with such a situation, where they have to start from the back of the grid, but they can count on a great race rhythm. We have to use each and every possibility", Massa said. But then we also have to watch out for the rain, which could change everything and turn the GP into a lottery. The rain in Sepang is tropical, considering that the race will start at 5pm local time there’s the risk that the end of the race will be held in the rain and with night falling.

• Sunday, 5 Apr 2009 12:21 by shok
    I just dont get why strategy has been a clear weak link in Ferrari's F1 performances. Even with great cars, there is the tendency to shoot yourselves in the foot regularly. There has been a large gapping hole left by the departure of Ross Brawn, although it may not solely be due to him, it does seem like it! What were you thinking going out on full wets without even a damp track, even from outside the pitwall i can tell you that 1 lap will distroy those tyres!
  • Sunday, 5 Apr 2009 01:24 by Logic
    I think all the team have to study a real strategy for all the possible situations that happens in race. To do questions to themselves and answer: it's a question of Logic.
  • Sunday, 5 Apr 2009 02:50 by Johnny B. Goode
    Hi, I'm really sadden by the overall performance so far of the scuderia this year, I believe the key for success is to continue to develop the car and team, I have an Idea that can perhaps help gain an extra second or 2 on lap time, where can I contact the team for contribution of this relative information. Best regards
  • Sunday, 5 Apr 2009 07:12 by jbach
    If there are bad calls from time to time, it can happen. But the amount of errors Ferrari have made is definitely not normal. At the moment, the strategy has been the worst of the grid. Now, the decision with Kimi's wet tyre, it seems so absurd that it makes you wonder if there is something going on that we fans don't know.. Adding to all that is the lack of pace as well terrible reliability. It's obvious if things don't change around rapidly as of next race then byebye titles.
  • Sunday, 5 Apr 2009 09:15 by Harold Purchase
    I understand people make mistakes, but someone has to own up, someone needs to step up to the plate so that amature mistakes don't happen. I do believe that only an amature team would not be ready to go out at the last minuet and get a better time. I am a huge fan and Saturday was another of a series of mistakes that the Scuderia team have made. Everything is now in the past, Scuderia has a mountain to climb back to the top. Was the team so reliant on two men that without them we are now a bottom team? I wait for the next race and hope that we show what we are capable of, better things.
  • Monday, 6 Apr 2009 04:44 by Paulino Mendes
    Its all the same. This happen from last season till today. We lost last championship with errous in pit lane and this year will be worst...
  • Monday, 6 Apr 2009 05:27 by Jairo Subia
    I do not understand as many or all the Ferrari fans in the world, why a top team, could ever make the mistakes we have seen in this beginning of the championship, you have to correct them once and for all, it is understandable tha you make one little mistakes or many little ones for you are human, but the size of the ones you have done there is no excuse and really I do not want one, all I want is to see my favourite team in the world to be as great as once you were if necessary develop your own Ross Brawn, but is seems very very clear that if he had been Team's Principal/Director none of this would have happened.
  • Wednesday, 8 Apr 2009 11:30 by only a fan
    President Montezemolo said that all the staff has to suit a cowl for monks. I think he's really right, but I've a big faith in your work. Come on ferrari!!!
  • Wednesday, 8 Apr 2009 04:31 by Iftikhar Engel
    I am Iftikhar Engel from the Netherlands. I am a big fan of Ferrari. Guys I am also shocked by the results. But I have faith in you and I know that Ferrari will win this championship. I wish you much success in the coming races. And I always stay in your trust. Good Luck!!
  • Monday, 13 Apr 2009 03:08 by Caroline F. Lima
    I noticed a mistake with the strategy which have been used with both drivers, specially Massa and I would like to give a hinty to help his development. Since last year, Felipe has difficults to win positions when he is in the lastest positions of the runnings, although Lewis Hamilton, who can pass from the pit stop for really long time, lost his place, but in few laps come back for the preview's position. In my opinion Felipe runs more when he has a light (soft) car, and stop more times, it isn't a good idea make him start a run with much fuel or put lot of fuel during the running thinkinking he will be faster and enjoy the time the would've been stoped, because, in fact, the height of the car makes him lost precious seconds I hope this can help in some way to make him win again!
  • Wednesday, 15 Apr 2009 05:04 by douglasross
    Yes we have had a bad start to the year but when one is at the bottom there is only one way to go. The team will get better the results will come keep the faith. Ferrari are not the best team with the best supporters for nothing FORZA FERRARI
  • Friday, 17 Apr 2009 10:46 by Jamie Rose
    Ok so things have been less than brilliant so far but it can get better. I have great faith in this team. I’m sure all the negative commentary from the world is very demoralising which never helps. I hope the weekend and the rest of the season goes well for everybody.

Comments: