I can’t wait to get on the track!

March 13, 2012 · Posted by Felipe Massa

This morning I arrived in Melbourne. The journey from Sao Paulo is very long: first you go to Santiago in Chile, then a long hop as far as Auckland in New Zealand, which is the final stop before we arrive in Australia. It’s funny: you lose a day because you cross the International Date Line heading West, and I’ll have to take the journey back the other way to get it back again! Today I had some rest after so many hours in an aeroplane and I tried to adapt quickly to the different time zone. My father is here with me: it’s always nice to have him alongside me at a race weekend. So we’ve arrived at the first grand prix of the year. I can’t wait to get started and I believe that wish is shared with all my fellow drivers. We racers miss competition like crazy and six days of testing are definitely not enough to satisfy our desire to race. I am very curious to see how things will go here in Melbourne. I believe it’s never been as difficult as this year to have a precise picture of the situation based on the winter tests alone: we will begin to learn the truth only in Saturday afternoon’s qualifying when we are all in the same conditions. I already said this last week in Sao Paulo: in my head is the thought that we can fight for the podium but that doesn’t mean that I don’t agree with what Pat Fry said in Barcelona. I know perfectly well that the tests didn’t go as we’d hoped because we had some very ambitious targets in terms of performance. We had some problems getting the best out of the exhaust system we had chosen and we had to go for a makeshift solution. That cost us precious time and obviously also a bit of performance. Only in the last two days could Fernando and I do some true and meaningful work on the set-up of the F2012. I remain convinced that this car has great potential: we must just find the way to get everything from it. We hope to start doing that as soon as this weekend at Albert Park! I like this city. There is a nice climate, hot as I like it: today it was over 30°C, a temperature very similar to Sao Paulo. The fans also have a lot of enthusiasm and it’s always nice to see so many Ferrari flags in the grandstands, which are as packed as this in few other circuits. According to the weather forecast, tomorrow evening it will freshen up a bit and there could be some rain on Thursday but it should stay dry for Saturday and Sunday. At this year’s tests we only had a couple of hours of running on a wet track on my last day at Barcelona so it’s hard to have an exact idea of how the car behaves in those conditions. I’ve never had much luck at Albert Park. I’ve only managed to finish the race in the points three times in my nine appearances at the Australian Grand Prix. One of those was on the third step of the podium two years ago. It would certainly be fantastic to manage that again but I know that it will be difficult. There’s a great field of competitors: it’s not just Red Bull and McLaren who are strong. Other teams from Mercedes to Lotus to Force India and Toro Rosso could have their say. Everything’s there for the taking, from the first laps in qualifying. One way or the other, I can’t wait to get on the track!

• Tuesday, 13 Mar 2012 03:56 by Zsolti
    Go Felipe!
  • Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 07:50 by Safwan
    I'm a Ferrari die hard fan. I wish you and Alonso best of luck in upcoming race which will be held in Melbourne, Australia. Just do your very best and we as a fans will cheer and support for both of you till the end of the season.. :) Good Luck!
  • Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 11:50 by Noe Izumi
    Felipe, never forget you're great. Good luck in Australia. We want you back.
  • Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 02:11 by Viktoria Chiara
    Dear Felipe, I wish You all the best for 2012. I am looking forward to the race and to see you all again. Good luck for Australia and hope to get a podium. I believe in You, nice regrets from a true Fan from Germany
  • Thursday, 15 Mar 2012 09:44 by JOSHUA
    massa! go faster,quicker and harder..concentrated and focus on what you want to win!..take more risk and go faster and quicker..YOU HAVE TO!!!!! JOSHUA SINGAPORE
  • Thursday, 15 Mar 2012 06:18 by Mark C.
    Felipe, Thanks for your comments, it's always nice to hear both of your personal thoughts before/after the races. I'm especially excited for you this year, because I'm praying you do well and have the year you want to have, I know you have IT in you!! We're all behind you here in the USA!! Forza Ferrari! Grazie. Mark
  • Friday, 16 Mar 2012 11:10 by chris
    Good luck , hope the car brings you and the team good fortune. i know u can get on the podium :-)
  • Friday, 16 Mar 2012 11:45 by Weehock
    Go Massa you can do it! Keep your head cool and go for it! ( Singapore )
  • Saturday, 17 Mar 2012 04:53 by FerrariFan
    Hi Felipe - just to wish you luck in the race tomorrow and you will need a smidgen of it having to start from so far back at the start - but it’s a chance to show us all what you’re made of even though the car is not 100% right yet – think ‘points points points’ and make up those lost places!!
  • Sunday, 18 Mar 2012 10:44 by anna
    I have always supported you since the beginning, you are a fantastic driver. It's a shame todays race ended in a DNF but you do have 19 more races turn that around! You can do it and I will be watching on the edge of my sofa every race weekend to see you achieve what you deserve! Hang in there :)
  • Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012 11:13 by allan lok
    i very hope massa in 2012 drive very strong like in year 2008,use f2012 overtake any cars,good luck for you.:)
  • Monday, 26 Mar 2012 04:11 by Safwan
    Go Massa, all the best for the race at China! :D I will always support u mate :) (Singapore)
  • Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 05:53 by Ferrari Fan
    It's been an unlucky start to the season Felipe but keep your pecker up and try not to feel too disheartened by recent events - I still maintain that you are one of the best (to watch) and most experienced drivers' currently racing in F1!! An untimely and unfortunate racing incident in Australia and sheer bad luck and rotten weather conditions in Malaysia does not sum-up your true worth and ability on track? If it were any other driver or team (especially McLaren or Red Bull) all would be forgiven and brushed aside?!? Stay strong and positive through this difficult 'hiccup' Felipe and know that you have many fans who enjoy watching you race out there on track (we have good memories too)!

Comments: