Budapest: an important part of my personal history

July 27, 2011 · Posted by Felipe Massa

Looking back at the Nurburgring, before we get on the serious business of racing, I have to say I don’t think I can ever remember being that cold at a Grand Prix meeting and when you consider it was the middle of July in Europe, it was unbelievable. On the work related front, that cold weather played its part in assessing the level of improvement on the 150º Italia, because normally the low ambient and track temperatures would have been seriously against us in terms of our ability to get the tyres up to the optimal working temperature. However, at the Nurburgring, although we suffered from this problem, more obviously in qualifying, clearly it was not bad as it was a few races ago and that is a positive sign.

In the race on Sunday, our performance was very good, we ran at a strong pace and the car was competitive. At the first corner, I found myself behind Nico Rosberg and that conditioned my race, because it took me a long time to get past, as the Mercedes has excellent straight line speed and by then, the guys in front had managed to pull away. That was really my main issue on Sunday afternoon, but once I got past him, my pace was excellent and I was able to fight with those ahead of me. I had an exciting fight with Sebastian (Vettel,) while when I was battling with Webber, it was at a point where he had new tyres and I was about to come in. The fight with Sebastian went on for much of the race, right down to that final pit stop on the last lap, where unfortunately we lost out. It was a shame, but we know we still have work to do in improving some elements of the pit stop, including the wheel nut itself.

With a McLaren and a Ferrari finishing ahead of a Red Bull, there are suggestions that if we and McLaren maintain good form, then it might help us in the fight for the championship, by taking points from Red Bull. However, even if there are still nine races to go, it’s not going to be an easy battle, specifically because Sebastian has such a big lead. But we continue to fight on a race by race basis, with the aim of winning as many as possible between now and the final in Brazil.

On Wednesday afternoon, I travel to Budapest for the next round and, on current form, we can be optimistic of having another positive weekend. Adding to that feeling is the fact we will again have the Pirelli Soft and Supersoft tyres, which we know suits our car best and in Hungary, where we can expect more normal summer weather, the hot temperatures will also be on our side. In addition, our development programme is still on-going and we will have some minor updates again this weekend, which I hope will make the car even stronger.

The nature of the Hungaroring track means the race here has sometimes been a bit processional: this year for sure there will be more overtaking, not by a big amount as the main straight is not so long, but all the same, the DRS will help. Combined with the possibility of tyre degradation in the high temperatures, I think the crowd can expect a good show on Sunday with some interesting strategies to watch and certainly those conditions will suit us, as the 150º Italia is kind to its tyres in terms of degradation.

Clearly, after what happened two years ago, Budapest and the Hungarian people are an important part of my personal history and once again I plan to meet the people who helped me through that difficult time, both at the track and the hospital. Since the accident, I have a lot of fans there: I don’t think they became my fans because of the accident, but rather because I spent some time in Budapest and made a full recovery, which was like a victory for me and the people here felt part of that victory.

• Wednesday, 27 Jul 2011 06:25 by Jola
    I wish you all the best! :)
  • Wednesday, 27 Jul 2011 09:58 by Cathie
    Dear, Felipe! You had a good race, did a big job, so you can be more competitive than they, than all pilots! I want to see you at the top during this season, because it will be great for you, for all your fans all around the world... We believe in you! I'll send you all my good thoughts, all my hopes, all my love in this weekend. I hope your race and Q are going to be great! With love C. from SPb.
  • Wednesday, 27 Jul 2011 11:21 by SziZita
    First of all CONGRATULATIONS for the great race You did in Germany!!! You were strong and great by not letting Vettel overtake you. I'm really hoping to see another wonderful race from You in Hungary and a podium also! I just saw the football match between Nazionale Piloti and the Hungarian All Stars team and I was expecting to see also You playing, why weren't you? Anyway, best luck for this weekend, take care, go and win! ZITA
  • Thursday, 28 Jul 2011 01:53 by F150
    Excellent racing Felipe! You should be proud of yourself! I sure was!
  • Thursday, 28 Jul 2011 04:16 by jma95
    Have a good time in Hungary ,felipe don't be afraid anything !
  • Thursday, 28 Jul 2011 10:46 by Noe Izumi
    You're right: it was not the accident, but assisting to your more difficult and dangerous race ever.And you came out victorious :) I hope you male a great performance this year. The tyres makes me feel really excited as they fit Ferrari a lot. It is time for a victory, Felipe, or at least, a podium, and I hope you'll make it. For sure. In Nurburgring you were just superb. My best wishes from Canary Islands. Noe
  • Friday, 29 Jul 2011 12:53 by britton
    Good luck in Hungary! With the warmer temperatures, the softer tyre compounds, improving performance of the car, and the motivation from your accident two years ago, I'm sure you can fight for the win on Sunday! Everyone would love to see you get back to your winning ways! Good luck, -Britton (USA)
  • Friday, 29 Jul 2011 05:30 by Mark Stephens
    Dear Felipe: your confidence is back, it already shows! We are here for you in full support so show everyone else on the track who is boss!! Ciao Mark, Susan, Andrew and Christian!
  • Friday, 29 Jul 2011 09:56 by Willie van Staden
    Blees you, Filipe. You are what sport is all about. Go well.
  • Saturday, 30 Jul 2011 01:46 by joshua
    massa bro!! the last race was THE BEST I EVER SEEN!...i have never seen you driving that rad..wow!!! more driving like that..you will improve and sharpen your skills...apply all you can to drive faster and harder..soon you will match up alonso...you can go on podium again..you will! and you can!..and you must!!! joshua singapore
  • Saturday, 30 Jul 2011 01:33 by Theo
    After the Senna and Shumi times, you are the only driver that makes F1 worth watching!
  • Saturday, 30 Jul 2011 03:36 by Guilherme
    Congratulations, Felipe! Great job
  • Sunday, 31 Jul 2011 12:58 by SziZita
    Congratulations for the 4th position, Felipe! That's what I was talking about! You can do it! The podium is waiting for You! :) ZITA
  • Thursday, 11 Aug 2011 08:13 by Philip Putze
    Hi Felipe, I hope that I will see you on the podiums in the next races. I think that it is hard to fight against Fernando and the others, but you are the best driver with Fernando!!!!!!

Comments: