Valencia has good memories for me

June 22, 2011 · Posted by Felipe Massa

I have just arrived in Valencia today, Wednesday, after spending a week at home in Sao Paolo following on from the Canadian Grand Prix that had promised so much but did not deliver the result I was capable of getting. But in a busy Formula 1 season like this one, you don’t have long to wait to try again and that is what I plan to do this weekend. The Valencia street circuit has good memories for me, because I had a great start here, winning the very first race held in 2008, having started from pole position. I missed the 2009 event of course and then I was competitive again last year, having a good race until the well documented incident with the Safety Car. So there are plenty of reasons to expect we can have another strong weekend this year and in the very hot conditions predicted for the next few days, the 150º Italia should get the tyres to work well too.

One of the criticisms of this street circuit was that it turned out to be very difficult to overtake other cars, but this year we have the Downforce Reduction System and, like in Canada, we have two DRS zones where we can operate it. For sure, this will change the characteristics of the race, making it much easier to overtake. However, you have to do everything you can to ensure your car is competitive throughout the whole race, because this is the direction we have seen things go this year, in that if you are not competitive then it is very easy to lose places to other cars. In the past, before DRS, even if your car was slower than the one behind, you could defend your position more easily, keeping the car behind and not getting passed.

Another interesting factor will be our tyre choice here, because for the first time this season we will be running Pirelli’s Medium compound tyre as the Prime, with the Soft, that we know well by now, as the Option. I drove with the Medium in winter testing, but it was much colder then, which means it behaved very differently and a couple of weeks ago, in Montreal, we were given the opportunity to evaluate it quickly during free practice, but the Canadian track surface is very different to the one in Valencia. If I had to sum up the new tyre, I would say it is very much like the original Hard tyre we had from Pirelli earlier this season. After a few races, they changed it, making it harder still and this Medium feels like the original Hard. The Ferrari engineers have been working intensely on adapting the car to suit the tyres, as we have struggled more with the harder end of the compound range and we will test again a modified suspension to try and make it more suited to them.

We are heading for a very busy part of the season, with a run of four races in five weeks and although Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro has been competitive in the last couple of races, we will soon be heading to Silverstone which is more likely to suit our rivals who have gone better on tracks that require more aerodynamic downforce. However, we have definitely made progress in this area since the last time we were in Spain, at the Barcelona circuit and it will be interesting to see where we stand this weekend: even if Valencia is a street track, sitting somewhere between Monaco and Canada in terms of its characteristics, it still has a final high speed sector which will be an interesting indication of how much progress we have made on our car and we will get the first indications on Friday, in free practice.

• Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011 05:44 by Noe Izumi
    Hi, Felipe! I really hope you're going to have a great race this time: the car is being very competitive at last and as you said that circuit is very special for you. Please make it happen. Regards from Canary Islands, Noe
  • Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011 06:26 by Saeedur Rahman
    make it another special weekend.Go Massa.
  • Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011 07:23 by SziZita
    Congratulations Felipe for your last race! It was wonderful, Your place should have been on the podium no doubts! And that final overtaking in the last seconds was extraordinary! I wish You a perfect weekend in Valencia, I want to see YOU winning!!! ZITA
  • Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011 08:19 by Vladimir
    Hello, Felipe! I wish you a successful race! I will be ill for you!
  • Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011 09:31 by
    You are one of my favorite drivers. Good luck for next races.
  • Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011 09:43 by Szabó Balázs
    Dear Felipe! I am angry with you, because I sometimes have the feeling you can't believe that you got a super talent. However, you showed it in Canada. It was the old Felipe, who is highly competitive. I wish we would see this Felipe all through the year. You have to trust in yourself because you are one of the best alongside with Fernando, Lewis and Sebastian. I loved seeing you and Fernando pushing each other to the limit. Fernando was just a little bit faster than you in qualy and you were a bit faster than him in the early stages of the race in rainy conditions. The days till the Hungarian GP are dropping, I hope I will meet you. Forza Felipe, Fernando and the entire team! Balazs
  • Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011 10:38 by Cathie
    Well, I was really disappointed last week-end, but positive factors such as competitive car, good time and positions in Q - is optimistic for all of us. This circuit is suitable for Ferrari cars, so do all that you can for achievement the place at the podium. You absolutely deserve winning! So never give up, guy! your winning is going to be the most exciting and breathtaking thing for all your fans, for me and I think you and your family will be very very happy! With love, C. from SPb
  • Thursday, 23 Jun 2011 09:37 by joshua
    massa! go ahead and enjoy the ride this time..last race was a....you know..but never give up hope,,it comes when you least expected it..this is F1!..always fight, always win and always drive the best top level!... joshua singapore
  • Saturday, 25 Jun 2011 06:31 by ALLAN
    Hey Felipe! Good lucky for tomorrow and push hard!! Even tough it looks hard to win, is time to enjoy and play the game!! The result, we see what happens!! Go massa!!
  • Saturday, 25 Jun 2011 11:10 by SziZita
    FELIPE, just redo your race from Canada this Sunday with a little bit more luck and I'm sure You will have a fantastic race! Wish You a wonderful Sunday! ZITA
  • Sunday, 26 Jun 2011 05:45 by Monisa Liu
    Good luck! All the Ferrari fans have watched you grow into a mature driver. However, Luck hasn't been on your side all the time. But it's time for you to fight for it.
  • Sunday, 26 Jun 2011 05:52 by britton
    This shall be a good weekend for you! Good car and good history here! Bring it home! -Britton (USA)
  • Sunday, 26 Jun 2011 09:57 by Med ayoub
    hi massa i hope that you have a pole position in this race because a race after another you become very competitive so i want you to look after you'r start in the race because with the KERS you will go from 5th to 3rd place and remember "DON'T GIVE UP" do your best you can because IF YOU BELEIVE IT YOU CAN ACHEIVED

Comments: