A Brazilian break

June 1, 2011 · Posted by Felipe Massa

Given that the next race is in Canada, I’ve made the most of that to head home to Brazil, to spend a few days there with my family. The last few weeks were very busy, with three races crammed into the month of May and now a bit of a break is in order. Before flying off to Sao Paolo, I spent a day in Italy, in Parma, where I played alongside Fernando and Giancarlo in a three-way charity football tournament. Me and the other Ferrari guys were playing as part of the Telethon team, the association that raises funds for research into rare and genetic illness.

Those three races in May did not go well for me. I failed to pick up points and my biggest regret came in the last of the three, in Monaco. As Fernando showed, by fighting at the front right to the end, we had a very good potential there and I think I could have finished the race in fourth place. Unfortunately, there was the accident with Hamilton, which put me out of the running: a real shame, but there’s little point in going over it again. I said what I wanted to about the incident after the race and now it’s not worth wasting more time over it, so it’s better to look ahead.

For the spectators – and unfortunately I was one of them – the second part of the race was very exciting. It’s a shame that the red flag pretty much ended the three way battle at the front of the field ahead of schedule. The rules in this case allow tyres to be changed if the race is suspended and so the final laps lost their significance, because both Fernando and Sebastian were on reasonably fresh tyres and, in these circumstances, overtaking at Monaco is still practically impossible, even with KERS and DRS.

The weekend was marked by several accidents, the most serious being those that involved Rosberg and Perez. Nico was lucky, as he did not hit the wall at the chicane after the tunnel, but Sergio hit it hard: I am happy he is out of hospital and I hope we can see him back in action in Montreal already. It’s true that Monaco, by its very nature, will always have an element of risk attached and that particular barrier is probably the most critical point if you lose control of the car or if something breaks. We have often spoken about it in the past, because it has been the scene of several accidents and I hope a solution can be found to improve the position of the barrier at that particular point on the circuit.

There was at least one positive aspect to the weekend and that is the fact our car was much more competitive than we had seen it at the previous race. Finally, we could fight all the way to the end, even if circumstances meant that only applied to one of us. Our pace was very good and I hope that will also be the case in Canada and Valencia. We should have some new technical updates there, which along with the softer tyres, should be a help, on paper at least and then we will see what the actual situation is, starting on Friday in Montreal.

• Wednesday, 1 Jun 2011 06:27 by bobjoon
    Hi Massa the racing you were doing in Monaco was very good I was impressed, shame that Lewis ruined your race! :( I wanted to ask you: Do you believe that this years Ferrari will be on the pace again before Vettel runs away with the championship? Your Biggest fan, Bobbak Rabiei
  • Wednesday, 1 Jun 2011 08:06 by Victor
    Go Massa! We believe!
  • Wednesday, 1 Jun 2011 08:13 by Lincon Sousa
    good luck to you at Montreal!!
  • Wednesday, 1 Jun 2011 08:39 by Charmaine
    Keep going, we have faith in you. We know you will show us something special to shush all the people who are doubting you. Keep your head up x much love x
  • Thursday, 2 Jun 2011 01:53 by joshua
    The monaco race is just bad luck..just ran out of luck...siggghhh..but you drove a good race!..i can see that!..one of your best drives yet...but dont lose heart,,focus the next race..you can do better and with better luck,,GOOD LUCK , GOOD RACING AND GOOD DRIVE! joshua singapore
  • Thursday, 2 Jun 2011 07:00 by Balázs Szabó
    Felipe! You have to have trust in yourself. Kimi Raikkonen was said to be the fastest guy and you could match his pace, especially in qualiyfing. You are really talented, mentally strong. I want to see the "old Felipe" and I am sure you will be able to show it again. You are such an intelligent guy! I hope you and Fernando will bring the Ferrari back to the highest step of the podium in the forthcoming races!
  • Thursday, 2 Jun 2011 09:20 by Saeedur Rahman
    The string of bad luck doesn't seem to have come to an end.But we can't just sit and rue our luck.As long as there's a bit of soul in the body we'll keep trying our best.Carry on with it.We always want to see spirit. Saeed from Bangladesh.
  • Thursday, 2 Jun 2011 10:55 by nszabi
    Just go ahead Felipe!!! You are a brilliant racer! Don't give it up!
  • Thursday, 2 Jun 2011 12:26 by Noe Izumi
    You've said so, the car is more competitive! You only need to fight and a bit of good luck. I hope those break days at home in Brazil will prepare you for the fight. Remember you'll never drive alone. My best wishes from Spain Noe
  • Thursday, 2 Jun 2011 04:07 by Arek
    Hi Felipe. You must be dissapointed much how thing looked in the past three races as you said. But its really encouraging that you have a faith and eager to fight still in front. As allways I and many fans are with you, for me its sure that youre a top driver even if things are not going well. Good bless you in next races. Arek
  • Thursday, 2 Jun 2011 07:31 by SziZita
    Hi, Felipe! I think those who were born on 25th April had a really black May, as my month was miserable too. But we have to look forward and hope for better days... As the saying says: "There is no rainbow without a cloud and a storm". I'm sure your family gives You all the support You need and You have us also, so don't give up! I'm glad that didn't happen anything to You during the crash. So let's hope for a better month now! All the best from ZITA
  • Friday, 3 Jun 2011 02:08 by Gav
    Go Felipe, I can't believe that move Hamilton did in Monaco I would have thumped him one! Anyway the best of luck in Canada I will be cheering you on.
  • Sunday, 5 Jun 2011 03:56 by Antonio
    Go Felipe go! nice race in Monaco. Will be better in Montreal!
  • Sunday, 5 Jun 2011 06:38 by Cathie
    I know your character, and so I know that you never says "I can't" or "I don't want fighting with this circumstances". And so, carry on! Never give up your tries and you will have been have luck again for the rest of the season. All your fans, and me, of course, want to see you at the podium with happy smile, so let's think that this dream is going to become truth in Canada. With love, C, from SPb.
  • Tuesday, 7 Jun 2011 11:39 by nadine
    Massaaa! i'm a biggest fans of you i hope that you can win the next race and get better for the next race :)

Comments: