Busy time in the run up to Monza

September 7, 2010 · Posted by Felipe Massa

I have had a busy time in the run up to this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix, which will be so important for Ferrari’s chances in the fight for the World Championship title. Last weekend I returned to Budapest and the Hungaroring, for a Ferrari event, which was very enjoyable. It is strange that, although I am Brazilian and I live in Monaco, Hungary will forever be an important part of my life ever since what happened there last year. More unusual, is the fact that I now seem to get a great welcome from the people whenever I go back, which I appreciate very much. Over the weekend, I drove some demonstration laps in last year’s F60 and also drove a Ferrari California road car and I was pleased to be able to give the doctor who looked after me in hospital there a ride in this fantastic car around the race track.

Last week, I also went to Maranello, where I met with my engineers to discuss technical matters relating to Monza and also did a session in our simulator, in preparation for this weekend. It is obvious that the fourteenth race of the year will be very important for the Scuderia, not just because of it being the home race, but also because of the current situation in the championship. In Spa, given everything that happened in the race there, finishing fourth having started sixth was a good result, but in terms of the points situation, we needed more. So, looking at the championship, there will be some pressure this weekend, although I have always felt that the spotlight that falls on Ferrari in Monza is a positive thing and I enjoy seeing all the red flags, hats and T shirts and hearing the noise of the tifosi cheering, whenever we leave the pits. From a personal point of view, Italy is definitely my second country after Brazil, as my grandfather emigrated from Italy and I even hold an Italian passport.

I have never done very well in the Italian Grand Prix and in fact my best finish is just a sixth place in a wet race in 2008. All the same, I like the track even if I have not had much luck there, like in 2007 when I was in the top three but did not finish the race. I have won in Monza, because I spent much of my early career racing there, with two victories in Formula Renault and one in Formula 3000. The track is now unique on the calendar in requiring very low downforce, so the car is very different to the rest of the year, running with very small wings, which means it needs to have good mechanical grip and work well on the kerbs. I think our car should be competitive here, or at least I hope so, because usually the F10 has gone well this season on tracks that feature hard braking at the end of straights, into slow corners, such as Bahrain and Hockenheim and even in Canada. I am looking forward to the weekend, because it is nice to end the European part of the season at such a great circuit.

• Wednesday, 8 Sep 2010 12:43 by SziZita
    Hi, Felipe! Even if I'm living in a country next to Hungary, I've never had the chance to meet you but I'm hoping for it every day! 'Til your accident You are the nr.1 driver for me. Good luck in Monza!!! ZITA from Romania
  • Wednesday, 8 Sep 2010 02:01 by Marina
    I look forward to seeing you do well in Monza! Keep up the good work!
  • Thursday, 9 Sep 2010 11:55 by Denise
    Good luck, and I hope that you'll be on the podium and everyone is screaming for you, succes denise,
  • Thursday, 9 Sep 2010 03:12 by Viktoria Chiara Hägel
    Ciao Felipe Good luck for this special weekend in Monza. I love Italy and it would be nice to see a Ferrari driver on the top, especially if you are this driver. Viktoria Chiara from Germany
  • Friday, 10 Sep 2010 12:46 by L from Canada
    Hello Felipe. I truly enjoy reading your blogs. Your positive spirit always shines through. I understand your feelings for Italy as my grandparents emigrated from Italy (not far from your grandfather's town) to Canada. Being in Italy always feels very comfortable and welcoming. All the best on Sunday! I will be sending positive thoughts your way!
  • Sunday, 12 Sep 2010 01:31 by leandro omar castano
    go,man,go!great to see you're back...makes me look back at lauda before...determination...committment...perseverance...victory!...cheers on your podium finish...cheers from the filipinos...go,man,go!
  • Monday, 13 Sep 2010 02:36 by Denise
    You did a really great job! nice to see you back on the podium, and laughing and enjoying with the tifosi
  • Monday, 13 Sep 2010 08:42 by Nora
    Hello Felipe! You are the Best!!! The Hungarian people very love you! Nora from Hungary
  • Tuesday, 14 Sep 2010 03:36 by philip putze
    Come on felipe. IN the next races i want see podiums from you. I know that it is difficult in this sesson but do it for the team and for you. I think on you and i am sure that you are the best driver in 2008 because you had little accidents and bad luck but today you have fifhting spirit and I think on YOU!!!!
  • Wednesday, 15 Sep 2010 01:39 by Fatma
    Hi Massa , I hope to see you always on Podium, I know your results are going to be better , race after race because you have all the rare qualities of a EXTRAORDINARY CHAMPION
  • Wednesday, 15 Sep 2010 04:22 by F1Maniac.net
    Super race Felipe. Very strong the whole weekend, next year will be different with Pirelli tyres. I feel you have definitely improved second half of the season, how do you feel about your personal performance. Do you feel more on top of the tyres now, it is certainly showing in your pace in the second half.

Comments: