Ferrari, my “other” family

June 9, 2010 · Posted by Felipe Massa

As you have possibly heard already, I will be racing for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro until the end of the 2012 season. I am delighted that we have reached this agreement, as I really feel as though everyone in Maranello is part of my other family, with our relationship going much further than just a working partnership. From a purely professional point of view it is great to know what I am doing so early on in the current season, which means I can now concentrate a hundred percent on the rest of this year’s races.

I have arrived in Montreal, ready for this weekend’s Grand Prix and I have to say it’s nice to be back after Formula 1’s year away, because this is one of the nicest race’s of the year, with the whole city making all of us feel very welcome. After the race in Istanbul, I went back home to spend a few days in Sao Paolo and I have taken a few days to get here, as I had to attend some events for Ferrari team partners along the way. Thanks to Shell, I made my first ever visit to an off-shore oil rig, just over a hundred kilometres away from the Brazilian coast line. It was a very interesting experience and it was incredible to see how complicated is the extraction process and management of the crude oil on the platform. When I was at the control desk, it reminded me of looking at the telemetry from our cars when we are on track: every parameter can be studied in real time 24 hours a day. Here too, teamwork is the key and each individual has to work in harmony with everyone else to get the job done as well as possible. They are together almost all the time for at least two weeks at a time and it’s vital that every member of the group feels responsible for what they do and is ready to help those around them. It’s the very same in a Formula 1 team. Instead of flying north to Canada after this unusual day, I had another stop over to make, this time in Quito, the capital of Ecuador, for a promotional appearance with our partner Philip Morris and from there, I finally took another long flight to Montreal.

Even though I like the circuit here, with the challenge of running in low downforce configuration on a narrow track that is an unusual mix of a race track and street circuit, I have not had much luck in Canada. In fact, my best result dates back to my final year with Sauber in 2005, when I finished fourth. The last two races here were particularly tough for me: in 2007, I was penalised for leaving pit lane when the red light was on and the last time we were here, in 2008, there was a problem with the refuelling at my pit stop, which cost me at least a podium finish, but my car was really working well and I managed to move up from the back of the pack to finish fifth at the flag. This year, I hope we have a better time and that should be possible, because I expect our F10 to be more competitive than in Turkey. A good race should be on the cards, as the track has some similarities to Melbourne and Sakhir, where we were front runners. But as usual, we won’t really know where we stand until the end of Friday’s two practice sessions.

• Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 06:54 by Jacques Massa
    Congrats Massa ! Forza Felipe !
  • Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 06:58 by Sandra
    Good Luck Felipe :) Hope everything's gonna be great for Ferrari this weekend! Love from Istanbul, Sandra.
  • Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 07:34 by britton
    Greetings from USA! I'm glad to see that you'll be staying with Ferrari until 2012. You're my favorite driver, and hopefully SF will be able to produce a car with which you can win a championship within the next year or two. Anyway, good luck in Canada and for the rest of the season; I'll be pulling for you! -b frost
  • Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 07:46 by Rubens Brito
    Go Felipe, i ever know. Keep to Ferrari is the best option so for time if for you. Now is time to make Scuderia go to the victory and you can make this way.
  • Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 09:52 by Carol Cross
    I'm so pleased to hear you are staying at Ferrari for two more years. Wishing you much success for the future. Hope this weekend goes well and we see you on the podium. :)
  • Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 11:06 by L from Canada
    Hello Felipe. So glad that you will be staying with Ferrari. The oil rig visit sounds fascinating. I'll be in Montreal tomorrow! Can't wait to see you and Fernando in the GP. Enjoy your time in Montreal and good luck for the race!
  • Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 08:29 by Rhea
    Congratulations to contract! Go and win WDC! :) Good luck to Canada!
  • Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 11:55 by
    Hello from Spain Felipe! Congratulations for the big news of you staying with the Scuderia until 2012 :) As you say you can now concentrate 100% on racing so you and Fernando can push together to improve the performance and hopefully winning races soon ;) Good luck for the race in Canada!
  • Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 12:42 by Claud Jamal
    Congrat's Felipe
  • Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 02:56 by Chris Horton
    Congratulations Felipe, brilliant news! Keep working away and you'll overcome the issues you're having with tyre temps, then we'll see 2008 all over again!! You were absolutely untouchable back then. Good luck for Canada, see you at Silverstone!
  • Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 03:36 by turbodog
    Congratulations, Felipe! I look forward to watching you race in Ferrari red in the USA in 2012. Just a few podiums and you're back fighting for the WDC lead! Good luck in Montreal.
  • Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 05:13 by Ajitpal Singh
    Salute to the future World Champion!
  • Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 10:01 by ScuderiaStar
    Congrats, Felipe!! Now go for the win!! :D
  • Friday, 11 Jun 2010 05:41 by Cesar
    congratulations Felipe
  • Friday, 11 Jun 2010 11:16 by Noe Izumi
    Congratulations, my dear Felipe! As your admirer I've suffered a lot those last months with all the rumors, so this is wonderful news, really wonderful news for me and all your fans. I'm sure you're now 100% concentrated to do all your best to you and your team along with Fernando. That's what I like from you, that's the way you answered criticism in 2008: winning. And I'm sure you'll do the same this year. Forza, Felipe! :) All the best luck and good wishes from Spain.
  • Friday, 11 Jun 2010 07:17 by Ana
    Go Felipe, you must be first in the race. Red Bull and Mcklaren are not so strong,Ferrari is the best.Forza Ferrari.A very big kiss from Barajevo, Serbia.You must win 17 World Championship Title this year. Ana
  • Friday, 11 Jun 2010 08:21 by Sina
    Forza Felipe !!!
  • Monday, 21 Jun 2010 11:34 by
    CONGRATULATIONS! I was so happy when I heard this cause I cant imagine Ferrari without you, you are my favourite driver :). Good luck in the rest of the season! Go for the title and be the best! Forza Felipe!! A lot of hugs and kisses from Croatia. Jelena

Comments: