Interesting to see how our car has improved

May 5, 2010 · Posted by Felipe Massa

On the weekend after I got back from China, I celebrated my twenty ninth birthday here in Monaco. I’m a family man now, so no wild parties, just a very enjoyable evening that my wife organised in a restaurant here with my son of course, and some friends. I’ve had some time to relax with this slightly longer break and I also spent a day in the Ferrari simulator at Maranello at the start of the week. The next race is in Barcelona, a track that all F1 drivers know very well, so the main point of the simulator session was to get a feel for the F10, which will have various updates for this next round of the championship.

The most obvious change to the car, apart from the mirrors being moved to comply with the regulation change regarding these parts, was the fact we will be trying a new rear wing, known as a “blown” wing, which involves the ability to affect its use from the cockpit. It was tried out for real, at Vairano, with Giancarlo Fisichella driving, so from my point of view it was interesting to see how and where we will be able to use it at the Catalunya track. Apart from this, we have some other improvements to the car, mainly on the aerodynamic side and this is all part of our programme to keep improving the car race by race. Of course, the other teams will have done the same, so it will be interesting to see who has done the best job and to find out if it changes anything in terms of which are the most competitive teams. Clearly, everyone will have been working very hard because, in a championship as tight as this one is proving to be, then if you can do a better job in the factory, it can give you an advantage on the track.

Barcelona will be the first and the only track we visit where we have tested the F10 already this year. We had a few days there, at what was the last winter test, which will be useful in that we will have some sort of baseline to start our work on Friday in free practice. But you have to consider that the cars have evolved since those days back in February and also, it is likely the track conditions will be different, as it will most probably be a bit warmer and there is also the fact that wind can play a key role at this track. All the same, it should be interesting to see how much our car and the other teams’ cars have improved since then.

We have said already this season that one key area where we need to improve is in qualifying and I hope the updates we are bringing to this race will help in that respect, because in simple terms if you improve the car’s performance, then qualifying should go better. Also, apart from performance, anything you do to the car to make it easier to drive can also be a help when you are trying to get the very most out of it on just one quick lap. We will have to wait and see, because at both of the next two races, Spain and Monaco, overtaking is very difficult, so qualifying can really shape your Sunday afternoon performance.

After four races on the other side of the world, I am looking forward to spending less time in airplanes, although having said that, my trip to Barcelona is not so straightforward, because on Wednesday I am flying to Prague in the Czech Republic for the opening ceremony of the new Ferrari showroom and then going from there to Spain. At least there will be no travelling involved for me for the next round in Monaco!

• Wednesday, 5 May 2010 03:07 by ScuderiaStar
    Good luck, Felipe! :D :D :D :D
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 02:15 by Steve
    All the Best Felipe...Looking forward to a podium finish and get back to where u belong....esp after last couple of races...
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 01:04 by Mark
    We'll be watching you and Fernando here in the USA this weekend!! Have a great race and we're all certain this will be another Ferrari weekend!! Forza Ferrari! Ciao!!
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 01:51 by Rhea
    Have a great weekend Felipe! Good Luck!
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 05:12 by Johny Guapo
    We hope you earn lots of points in Spain. Good luck from the Texas Tifosi!
  • Friday, 7 May 2010 01:23 by sammy
    hi felipe i cant wait for the next race in barcelona. iam going to watch it good luck. p.s. iam tavosi
  • Friday, 7 May 2010 06:27 by Douglas O. Silveira
    Felipe, I will watch the race and I hope you take back the lead! Boa sorte, Massa!
  • Sunday, 9 May 2010 12:20 by
    Best wishes Felipe~ I like your lovely smile and will always support you!
  • Sunday, 9 May 2010 03:15 by Johny Guapo
    Felipe, great job driving with a damaged wing! We love listening to you talk to Rob on the radio. From your Texas Tifosi
  • Monday, 10 May 2010 03:53 by Mark Stephens
    Felipe, great driving with the damaged car and you still scored good points! Happy Birthday to you also Champ! We'll be watching this coming weekend as you tear up the track around Monaco! Ciao -Mark
  • Monday, 10 May 2010 09:41 by
    Felipe, not the best race for you but you certainly have given it all and 6th was the best you could possibly do and that wasn't too bad especially with the point system we have now. Though, you can't afford to have many more races like this if you are targeting the championship. That's clear. You need to raise your game significantly and that's the only possible way for you to achieve your goal which has to be to win the driver's title. I know it's always easier said than done but as a fan of course we always want the best for you because you derserve nothing but the best and I have full believe in you. With that being said, I'll be hoping for another great results for Ferrari. 1-2 would be very welcome. Hope that's possible.

Comments: