Massa: "Ferrari never gives up"

May 14, 2009 · Posted by Felipe Massa

Maranello - The days after the Spanish GP I read that I've raised the white flag for this season. This is not the case and I want that to be clear. Obviously the situation in the Championship is very very difficult and it seems to be quite realistic saying that catching up seems to be almost impossible, considering our gap as far as the points are concerned. That doesn't mean that we've given up. We'll continue working on the car and will give it our all to win races and finish the Championship the best way possible. We've shown last year that we're not a team that gives up when there are negative results.

The F60's behaviour at Barcelona was completely different compared to the first races: it was much more fun driving it, it was more stable and had more grip and a higher downforce. That was a huge step forward and it shows that we're able to improve a lot after a difficult start. We've worked a lot and this result is encouraging for the near future, when we'll have new developments coming up.

They say that a car that's doing well at Barcelona goes well everywhere. I'm not sure if this is true, but what I can say is that we were competitive again. The car is not perfect - no car is - and we've still got some problems with the hard compound, especially on the first lap: we made a step forward, but that's still not enough.

The fact that we brought such a big package of improvements to Barcelona without practically testing it on the track means that Friday's free practice sessions were very intense and we had to understand the effects of all these modifications. The good news from last weekend is that the F60 finally seems to be competitive. This is thanks to everybody who has been working so hard at Maranello and at the track; the bad news is that we've still got reliability problems. Kimi had to retire and I had problems during both of the pit stops with the fuel that didn't completely go into the tank. We still have to understand what happened there: we've tested and analysed a lot at Maranello these days, but we haven't reached a final conclusion yet. It was really frustrating when I had to give away two positions, because I had to slow down to safe petrol to cross the line. Furthermore I lost the cover of the left front wheel. That confirms that when you have so many improvements on the track some reliability problems might show up especially when you don't have the test sessions we were used to in the past.

This is the first week, compared to the last years, I don't have to drive the car before a race, due to the new rules. There's still the simulator; it can't replace the car, but it's still a good opportunity to get ready for the next Grand Prix. During the week I'll be at the CRF in Turin working on the race at Monte Carlo. It's true that we had a more competitive car, but we know that this is a completely different circuit compared to Montmelò, which can only be compared to Singapore. Having said that I think that the F60 will go well at Monaco, also because we'll have numerous improvements. Considering that overtaking is almost impossible, we have to try to find the best possible set up for the qualifying, for the best possible position on the grid. They say that the KERS won't help in this race; but I think that we'll use it, also because our car's project was born around this system. It's strange that on such a short circuit with such small gaps the system could be decisive. We hope that we'll make a further step ahead, the way we did in Spain.

• Thursday, 14 May 2009 05:30 by Raghav V S
    Well said Felipe... You are the best - It has been amazing watching you through your development at Ferrari, from the racer you were in 2006 and the well-groomed and mature racer you are now. It has been an amazing transformation. I have observed one thing - Ferrari and Felipe, both never give up! This is the attitude that will take you to great heights. Regarding the current scenario with the rules and everything, please don't concentrate on those things - now all you've got to think of is winning - technically, you still have 120 points to aim for - So, all the very best. And also, congratulations on baby Massa... Best Regards, Raghav V S
  • Thursday, 14 May 2009 10:24 by ferrari_fun
    Ferrari is the best TEAM in the grid!! Mosley's rules are not good for the sport!! Don't give up we will be in the top again!! Thank's to the red passion!!
  • Friday, 15 May 2009 12:43 by Henry
    Felipe, Parabéns pela excelente corrida (sua e do Kimi que lutava contra o Heidfeld). Vi no site da Ferrari, o Aldo Costa explicar o trabalho forte que a FERRARI fez para o carro na Espanha. Uma ótima corrida para a Scuderia em Monaco. E parabéns para você e para a Raffaela - 1,2,3, pim!!!
  • Friday, 15 May 2009 06:20 by Li xue zi
    Ferrari never gives up. Neither do we... Fighting for the better situation...
  • Friday, 15 May 2009 08:57 by Jim
    You were so brilliant in Montmelo who I have nothing to say about it. As I have said the bad performances that you had are something temporary and I am sure about your skills which will help espacially in a race like the Monte Carlo. And do not forgive that you lost the driver champion but you captured our hearts and in these hearts you are a champion like Kimi, Mickael and Ayrton. You can win. Dimitris Benekos from Greece
  • Friday, 15 May 2009 09:35 by claire
    I know you will never give up. Though the beginning of this season is not perfect, I believe in you and Ferrari. I hope you could win in Istanbul!
  • Friday, 15 May 2009 10:35 by Friend
    I've never doubted that you all will never give up...
  • Friday, 15 May 2009 07:18 by Tatin
    i m nt an engineer of the cars but i do really believe the KERS may seem of no use at monaco as pressing the switch of KERS may cause an accident or a hit to the wall.so pls be careful. ur white flag is waiting to get green soon.............
  • Saturday, 16 May 2009 03:47 by Claire
    Great, I know you will never give up. Though the beginning of this season is not perfect, I believe in you and Ferrari! Go
  • Saturday, 16 May 2009 04:42 by Emma Fenn
    You know what the media are like, you make one comment and it's all blown out of proportion!! We know that you won't give up and why should you - you are a fantastic driver with the best team. Ferrari will make it through these troubled times and the FIA will see that Formula 1 is nothing without Ferrari. Emma - England
  • Sunday, 17 May 2009 09:15 by minh
    Nothing is impossible... what happen if someday in near future, Brawn will be in our situation now? (^.^) ... just keep fighting and wait chance come to us... believe in you, Massa !
  • Sunday, 17 May 2009 03:15 by candy
    i am your fan from China, as u said you and ferrari never give up, go ahead,tomorrow is another day ."where there is a will, there is a way". In China ,we called u 马萨。 加油 ,马萨 ,我们永远支持你~
  • Tuesday, 19 May 2009 06:00 by Go
    Go Massa go... all of us could see the fire on you... ust fight to make our rivals scared *_*...We will be the champion this year, it's for certain from our belief
  • Tuesday, 19 May 2009 12:29 by minh
    Whenever I watch you race in the track I always could see your ambition to win and you fight with all your strength...I love it MaSa...As long as you can keep fighting therefore you will be on podium as always...All best wishes to you ^o^
  • Tuesday, 19 May 2009 03:25 by Minh
    Massa, This week seems strongly for ferrari and i do believe that will be 18 points for both of you...you are born to win, you are born to be a champion and in Monaco, here we go...=>...No 1
  • Tuesday, 19 May 2009 03:50 by minh
    No matter what others said like "We have risen white flag"... because they are foolish and that is nonsense. Just ignore that stupid comments and go to show who you are ...we always trust in you Massa.
  • Thursday, 21 May 2009 12:49 by Minh
    I could see you in podium Massa...All of us believe in you and love you very much... Be the best in this Saturday and Sunday ^-^ Best luck to you
  • Thursday, 21 May 2009 01:01 by dung
    Be calm but strong Massa...and you will be on podium as all of us wish to see...love to you !!!
  • Thursday, 21 May 2009 04:50 by Minh
    I saw the result today for P1 and P2... You did very great job ^.^ keep fighting and we are always behind and support to you with all my passion Go Massa Go... ^o^
  • Thursday, 21 May 2009 05:13 by minh
    Practice on thursday was very good Massa, like I said that I could see you would be on podium...And now you are on the way to achieve it. Wishing you are always upbeat and always in podium ^.^ ... Have a excellent day !!!
  • Thursday, 21 May 2009 09:37 by Robert Nagy
    I believe one good F.Massa My faith is a FERRARI!
  • Friday, 22 May 2009 06:05 by Lily
    Felipe Baby, fly to the pole!
  • Friday, 22 May 2009 12:37 by Wayne
    Monaco is your home. You are a winner and so you have to demolish all other drivers and finish GP as first!!! Let's go Felipe
  • Friday, 22 May 2009 02:51 by minh
    Massa... In you, we trust. And tomorrow I will pray for you and ferrari... Let's Go !
  • Saturday, 23 May 2009 03:27 by Minh
    You did a good job Massa, today I saw you that you seem have problem after you had the crash...But after that, you could manage and get fifth fastest...*.* You did the best you can in that circumstance and all we know that you would do better if crash didn't happen... Honestly, I do believe that you will be on podium tomorrow-I bet that...Go Massa go !!!
  • Sunday, 24 May 2009 01:39 by Windy
    You are always my idol, dear Massa! I'm one of your fans in China. Wish you good luck and a nice position .Now I'm watching your race!Cheer up! Go,go,go, Felipe baby!
  • Sunday, 24 May 2009 03:35 by minh
    You did a god job Massa...You should be happy and take a rest before keep working for next race. If your car can keep improvement like what it is doing now so easily, in next race you will be on podium ^.^ have a nice day Massa
  • Tuesday, 26 May 2009 03:29 by Ned Johansson
    The forth place may be not as good as you expected, but all we can see are you tried your best to do a great race. Though the race ended up with no podium, but we can see that podium is approachable now. So just cheer up and get ready for the next race in Turkey where you always perform strong. Good luck, Felipe!
  • Tuesday, 26 May 2009 12:31 by Maria
    Felipe! The Monaco race was perfect! You havn't done any mistakes at this terrible narrow streets! Your driving was excellent.))) Best wishes to you in Turkey, dear!!!!! I'm with you forever=)
  • Tuesday, 26 May 2009 04:14 by Lara
    Felipe, don't give up anymore! As you say here, because early it'll arrive your moment to win. Hope already at Istanbul!!!
  • Thursday, 28 May 2009 03:53 by Gina Nadalini
    Congartulations on your future son or daughter. Believe me It's a huge change but is worth it. Your hole life perspective changes in a minute... I also want to cangratulate you on your race in Monaco you were on fire!!! I am sure you'll get the Browns out of the way from now on. Gina, from Guatemala.
  • Thursday, 28 May 2009 01:17 by Lei
    Felipe, you set an example for us. you are the hero!!! come on!!!
  • Thursday, 28 May 2009 02:58 by Nicholas
    You'll never give up, so your strenght is over any fate and wrong things. Ferrari is the best team of the world and it marks the history of F1!
  • Thursday, 28 May 2009 04:26 by Andy zhang
    Massa you have get a good great and don't give up just drive toward I trust you will be back (A fans from China)
  • Friday, 29 May 2009 12:47 by Tatin
    Felipe I'm Tatin from Bangladesh. Hope you heard the name of my country. I'm very familiar to ur country because of football brazilian football team is the best to me and I'm very fond of football. From last season 2008 i started to enjoy F1 and my first seen grand prix was Valencia the european u won that opening and from that time I'm a great fan of ferrari and yours. from my friend i got to know quite a lot about the team and then you.... and than i got all the history by myself and now the F1 is the only favourite sport to me. And this is only because you Kimi and the Scuderians, when you lost the championship by 1 point to the liar after such a fantastic win at sao-paulo i couldnt hold the tear... from that time i promised myself whether u all win graciously or loose poorly i would alwaz be with u all..... its true still now i couldnt see KIMI wining live but I'm fan of the iceman too... I have full faith in you both.b4 the race starts i always say my friends its gonna be FERRARI 1 2... just keep driving like MONACO and carefully..... you still got the chance to win the titles
  • Tuesday, 2 Jun 2009 10:52 by tony carroll
    mr massa ie Felipe babe i think this current 09 season has not yet get all his attributes and raw talent and speed all hooked up yet and time will tell and i am sure mr smedley will have it all Bangin very soon.
  • Thursday, 4 Jun 2009 05:42 by Vivi
    Dear Felipe! I hope you will have a good race in Istanbul again as you had in the last years. I saw you win firstly and I'm sure that you will fight for the podium at the weekend! Best wishes and have a nice weekend!! (Sok sikert!!) Vivi (Hungary)

Comments: