Massa: "It's important to keep working with Kers"

April 1, 2009 · Posted by staffFerrari

Sepang, April 1st 2009 - It’s not unusual for me to have a difficult start to the season, as the Australian race has unfortunately always been one where luck does not seem to have been with me. And that was definitely the case again this year. A tough start is something we know how to deal with as a team, but I would say that the difference for this year is that while, in the past, we knew we had a great car, I think this year there are definitely some teams currently running a better package than the one we have made around the F60.

On the plus side, my impression is that the nature of the Albert Park circuit and the conditions over the weekend were particularly unfavourable to our car and so, the situation for the future is not as bad as it might look from the outside. In winter testing, the car was stronger than this and it was also easier to drive, so the combination of the type of track surface and the tyres exaggerated the difficulties we had in Melbourne. At the start of the weekend we already saw we were going to struggle a bit making the tyres work, but then the situation actually got worse in this respect as the weekend went on. With the Malaysian race weekend starting in just a few days, there is no way we are going to significantly develop our car, but we can improve the way we work with it, based on all the data we gathered in Australia. Even if the car was not so strong in terms of its race pace, we should have been capable of picking up some points, but we didn’t because of reliability issues, so this too is an area we need to watch carefully.

In Melbourne, I was pleased with the way the KERS worked, especially at the start, which was very good and the KERS was very useful for me. I used it all through the race and it helped me defend my position and it was also useful at the restart after the Safety Car period, so I think it’s important to keep working with it.

When it comes to discussing the order for the teams, we don’t even need to mention the Brawns, as they are in a different class at the moment. But I think we are competitive with the rest. As for Malaysia this weekend, while that team will be out in front, I think Ferrari can be much more competitive there. I have arrived in Malaysia now, having left Melbourne on Monday night and I will be doing a bit of outdoor training to get used to the heat and humidity, although to be honest, it doesn’t bother me that much. I hope I have a good weekend and that Scuderia Ferrari does too.

• Wednesday, 1 Apr 2009 05:34 by Gina Nadalini
    You'll see the Browns are not so perfect, you just have to be patient and gain as much points as you can while Ferrari develops the car.
  • Wednesday, 1 Apr 2009 06:21 by joflizn
    Felipe, just hope a better race at Sepang. I'll continue to support you through this year as I did before.
  • Wednesday, 1 Apr 2009 07:57 by vivyenn
    Hi Massa! I think, you're the best Formula 1 racer! You are very very good racer, and I wish you a lot of luck for the future! And GOOOO FELIPE!!! YOU'RE THE BEST!! I LOVE YOU!
  • Wednesday, 1 Apr 2009 11:16 by Euan a
    Hi massa, i really like you and the FERRARI team I hope it all comes together soon. bye
  • Thursday, 2 Apr 2009 11:56 by Manuel
    Hi Felipe! I think we all ferrari fans have to be patient now, but at the end of the year your great skills will be on the top of the championship! Let's go to change gear in Malaysia!!!
  • Thursday, 2 Apr 2009 02:08 by denisksm
    my only hope is that the dufusors are not the only part that makes Browns so damn quick.... Good luck!!!
  • Thursday, 2 Apr 2009 03:31 by Jorge78
    Kers will do the difference in Malaysia, in favour of you and Scuderia of course. But don't get mistake with the tyres, please! Have a great w-e Felipe!!!
  • Thursday, 2 Apr 2009 04:02 by Lily
    Felipe, never lose hope, always have faith! Future is there, we are here. From here to there, we don't fear.
  • Thursday, 2 Apr 2009 04:16 by Lily
    Hi, Felipe. I had planned to go to Shanghai to cheer for you in October after my College Entrance Examination, but Chinese GP just swithes to April, which is a real shame for me. But I won't miss you next year! "The strongest men are not the ones who always win, but those who don't give up when they lose" I read this in a text. 2002, 2003... 2008, 2009... forever, we were, we are, we will be, supporting you! Love from, Lily~
  • Friday, 3 Apr 2009 12:08 by Raghav
    Hi Felipe, I have been watching F1 for about 9 years now, and I saw you from your Sauber-Petronas days. You have always been a promising driver - with the ability to win races in a calm manner. You are an amazing personality and you deserve to be champion. You have impeccable character. Last year, Lewis was lucky - see this year, he is having to lie to increase positions in the race!! Just race the way you are racing - don't listen to any ones criticism - stay positive and by the end of 2009, you will be the World Champion!! Regards, Raghav
  • Friday, 3 Apr 2009 10:30 by Simony
    Felipe, I saw your debut in the F1 (Sauber-Petronas team) and year after year I could see a great driver developing. Last year in SP, Lewis was lucky 'cause you was the best. Not only in this race but in all championship! Thus this is YOUR year.. I'll continue to support you!
  • Saturday, 4 Apr 2009 12:23 by Manuel
    Ohh Felipe, what a mistake!! I heard now the qualifying results. Can you improve tomorrow in race? I hope so, I know you can do it. Come on!!!
  • Saturday, 4 Apr 2009 10:37 by Cliff Graham II
    Sir: I must confess to cheering for Hamilton last year but you were such a gentleman after the last race that you won me over both for yourself and for Ferrari. I wish to congratulate your father and mother on bringing up such a fine man. You are a credit to your family, your country, your sport and your team. Well done!
  • Sunday, 5 Apr 2009 08:47 by lindsay
    Mr. Massa dont be decepcionado about the race you will recover. You did very good last year and you will do good this year i am sure about that because you have the perseverance to win. I will keep my fingers crossed in Holland For the next race in China. Good luck.
  • Monday, 6 Apr 2009 12:52 by Li xue zi
    The race won't be restarted But the life will The weather will be changed all the time But the goal won't The tears will fall down But the faith won't The results will be sure But the failure won't The way to the final will be stopped But the way to the victory won't The situation will be difficult But improving won't The god will leave you alone But we won't So, we are your energy, your power, your support So, you are our goal, our faith, our life So, I'm with you
  • Tuesday, 7 Apr 2009 06:20 by Lily
    Last year, a big earthquake hit China on May 12th. But we suffered together and fought together and Won together. I know there is an earthquake in Italy now. Dear friends, we are here, being with you. So...never lose faith!!!!! As Felipe said, we need a quick reaction to this situation. But being together is the most important. We are Ferrari, we don't fear! I always feel the if we ask and believe and wish well enough, some things are bound to turn out right. Forza Felipe! Orgoglio Ferrari!!!
  • Tuesday, 7 Apr 2009 03:26 by Manuel
    Hi Felipe, have a good relax period in Brasil for these days, but train your mind for China, I'll wait for you on the first three and I'm sure Prancing Horse hel you to reach that! Your great fan Manuel
  • Wednesday, 8 Apr 2009 11:25 by Anton
    Hi Felipe, how points we can wait for kimi and you in the next two asiatic races? I think at least 15 and not more than 22... I don't like betting, but I hope there are ten points just in one race with you to win a wonderful victory in Bahrein!
  • Thursday, 9 Apr 2009 02:46 by Rildo Jr
    é felipe inicio de temporada dificil, mais confiamos em você, bola pra frente, as proximas corridas serão diferentes, um abraço e boa sorte!
  • Saturday, 11 Apr 2009 12:17 by echo
    Hi Felipe,Good luck in China.I do believe that you will get 10 point in SHANGHAI~!Go Felipe Go~!

Comments: