The Bali blog

March 30, 2006 · Posted by staffFerrari

The life of a grand prix driver for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro really seems to be a varied one, covering everything from racing to rugby. After the excitement of the Malaysian Grand Prix, I headed off to Bali with my parents and my girlfriend. As I mentioned last time, I chose Bali simply because it’s a place I had never been to before. And yes, it really is a beautiful spot to visit. But, I’ll be honest with you and admit that maybe I’m not the best type of tourist as I did not bother too much with all the sights there are to see. Instead, I just enjoyed relaxing after the rush of two races in the space of one week.   I arrived here in Melbourne on Monday, while my family headed back home to Brazil. I have always liked this place as there is a real buzz about it and the people are very friendly and interested in the Grand Prix. One thing I have had to get used to as a Ferrari driver is that there is always a sponsor that needs some of your time, but usually it involves something new and different to do, so I am happy with that, as I am always up for something to do. Here in Melbourne, it involved playing Rugby Sevens, which means Rugby Union with seven players per side, instead of fifteen. Now I know that Italy are surprisingly competent at this sport, but it’s not something we Brazilians have ever shone at. I mean, for starters, the ball is the wrong shape! It’s very difficult to catch. But anyway, here in Melbourne near the circuit, I played in one team and Michael played in the other. I scored two “tries” whatever that means, but more importantly, I enjoyed myself and did not break any bones.   Tomorrow, Thursday gets more serious as I go to the track for the first engineering briefing meetings. The team did some testing back in Europe last week, which was constantly interrupted by rain, but as there is a wet forecast for much of this weekend, then maybe it will produce useful data. I am hoping for a good weekend here. For starter, although it might sound strange, there is something about the lifestyle here that reminds me of home in Brazil. Like us, the Australians like to live outdoors and have a good attitude to life. I have never done too well here in the races: a few years ago I got involved in a first corner accident. Then I had an engine problem and last year I finished ninth. So, this year, I really expect us to have a package that’s good enough to see us on the podium on Sunday afternoon.   Sto scoprendo che la vita di un pilota della Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro è davvero molto varia, dal rugby alle corse. Dopo l’eccitazione del Gran Premio della Malesia, sono partito per Bali con la mia famiglia e la mia fidanzata. Come ho gà detto, ho scelto Bali per la sua bellezza e perché non ci ero mai stato prima. Ma sarò onesto: non sono probabilmente la “migliore specie” di turista poiché ho pensato soprattutto a rilassarmi tra le due gare invece di godermi tutto il paesaggio che Bali poteva offrire. Sono arrivato lunedì scorso a Melbourne, mentre la mia famiglia è tornata in Brasile. Adoro veramente la vita a Melbourne, le persone sono davvero calde e c’è vera passione per il Grand Prix.

• Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Hello Felipe ! Glad to read about u again:) We can't wait to see u and Schumi on the track again to face the front runners for the victory.Melbourne is the right place to start wimming again and thinking about ur performances in Barhain and Sepang I m pretty sure that in Australia u ll get ur first podio and maybe the win.Surely u ll fight strongly. Looking foward what it will happen saturday and sunday I wish u all the best !!! Go go Felipe:))
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Hi Felipe. Great to hear your thoughts on the upcoming race in my hometown, Melbourne. I will be at the track cheering you and the whole team on and hope to see you guys in the Paddock Club. Forza Ferrari.
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Rugby 7s? Now that I would have loved to see. The rugby players I know are about 2m tall, 120kg - & definitely not the best aerodynamic design for an F1 driver! I very much doubt that most of them would be able to try their hand at your sport. They wouldn`t even get in the car :o) I`m looking forward to the race this weekend & hope it`s a good one for you. I, also, add my thanks to you for taking the time in a busy schedule to write this blog. Enjoy Melbourne! Ann
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Ciao Felipe, siamo stati a Maranello il lunedí per la prima colazione con Marc - speciale! Credo que il lavoro a Maranello e stupendo per tutti! Senza Foot, Rugby e altre.... :)))
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    I saw the photos and some images on TV about the game that Schumi and Felipe played thursday :))All really amazing ! We have to say that surely Australia s a lovely place....
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Felipe, Once again, we all can't THANK YOU ENOUGH for the time you generously offer to us all. Offering your time to us speaks volumes about you as a person, very genuine. Anyway, glad to hear you had a great time in Bali, and nobody can blame you for just relaxing there. It must be different, coming to a team that's right in the running for a title. With power comes great responsibilities, as they always say, and I see you have plenty of them. It must be fun trying different sports that you aren't accustomed too. I, myself, have never played rugby, being from the USA. Not to say that sport doesn't exist here (obviously), but it just isn't as big here as in Europe. What else is new, we Americans really need to catch up to the rest of the world, hahaha. Wishing you the best for this coming weekend. We all know you and Michael can do it!!!! The potential we have shown in the first two races is tremendous. Forza Ferrari!!! Ciao Mark USA
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Good Luck Felipe!
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Well Felipe it is great that you spent time to keep us in touch with the latest news about you and Ferrari .I hope that you read our posts too ,at least some of them .Do you ? I want to wish you good luck for the upcoming race .Australia is a place where Ferrari is traditionally competitive. Let's hope that this will continue . Well all the fans are waiting for the first win of the season and I cross my fingers for it . Maybe a one-two finish would be even better ,Am I asking so much? ......Good luck to you and Michael Forza Felipe
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    good luck for the qualification and the race Felipe ! FORZA !

Comments: