...after malaysian GP

March 20, 2006 · Posted by staffFerrari

On Thursday afternoon at the Sepang circuit, I faced the journalists for the first time since Bahrain. We were all squeezed into the small Ferrari team air conditioned hospitality area, because you really don’t want to be standing in the sun for more than a couple of minutes in the Malaysian humidity. The news had just come out that I would have to drop ten places on the grid because my car needed an engine change, before the practice started on Friday. One press man asked me if I liked racing when I had to fight my way to the front from a low grid position. I told him I did and that I had done it a few times in the past. I don’t know if he believed me, but I think I showed him I was telling the truth on Sunday afternoon.   My race in Malaysia was all about waiting for the right moment and attacking at the right moment. I think starting last and finishing fifth was a great result. I lost a couple of seconds behind slow cars which cost me time. Anyway, I’m really happy with my pace and if I had started nearer the front, I think I could have been fighting for a place on the podium.   In the closing stages, I had a problem because I lost 2 kilos of fuel at the moment that the crew removed the fuel line from the car, so I had to save a lot of fuel during that stint. Michael was closing on me and I had to be really careful on the throttle pedal to save fuel. It wasn’t so easy for me, but in the end I was able to keep him behind me. Obviously he knew about my fuel problem. It was a normal fight for position which I managed really well and that makes me happy.   What was encouraging was our pace, because if we had been lighter on fuel I think we were on the same pace as the Renaults more or less. I would have to say we were competitive. But our strategy was great. Of course I lost out a bit behind slower cars, but when I had a clear track ahead of me, I could push hard and run at a competitive pace. The team strategists did a good job and it all worked out very well.   At the moment, I am still in Kuala Lumpur, but on Wednesday, I am heading off to Bali. Why Bali? Because I have never been before and I am always keen to see new places. I’ve heard it’s very beautiful.  It will be something of a Massa family affair as, apart from my girlfriend, my mother and father are also coming. Then on Sunday, I take an overnight flight to Melbourne and they all head home for Brazil.

• Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Well done!!! It was good to see how you managed to work your way through the field! It looks a promising start to your career at Ferrari!!! Keep up the great driving David
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    I hope u are enjoying ur vacations Felipe!!!!
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    E verdade que muitos gostariam de beber um copo con o Senhor na esquina de Prudente e Vinicius no Rio... mas parece que guiar bebado na F1 tambem e proibido... Poe enquanto, agua, com o sem gas! So as burbujas... e aquele que fala como em Blumenau vai ficar na agua! Para a frente!!!!! Vamos là!!! O problema sendo definir o que que e o là... Talves a tatica sia d'aver o MS diante, junto com o Rosberg, Heidfeld e o Kimi, assim eles battem entre eles e o Senhor vai ter um GP como se fosse nas rodovia dos Bandeirantes uma quarta ao meio dia! Mas, como fala-se em Alemaõ de Maranello, e importante ficarconcentrado para vencer num dia cuando eu vou estar no Pais onde Deus va de ferias! Estou querendo participar na celebraçao! X.
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Felipe, Great race!! It just seems to easy for you, although I'm not saying it was, hahaha. You made the best of a bad situation and that's what great drivers do. Michael has done the same on many occasions, even here in Malaysia. Patience is definitely a virtue, and you definitely choose the right times to engage on your opponents. You made it a great race for all the Tifosi to watch, simply marvelous!!! Your time will come, we all know that. You've definitely earned it!! Forza Ferrari! Ciao Mark USA
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Oh yeah, hope you had a great small vacation!! Though I know you're in Melbourne by now. WE CAN DO IT THIS WEEKEND IN AUSTRALIA!!! The Tifosi are waiting!! Forza Ferrari!! Ciao Mark USA
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    FELIPEEEE where are you???? hare ended your holidays??? come soon with us!
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    I m sure that in Australia Felipe will realise his dream getting his first podio as Ferrari driver :)) The australian countdown is started !!Good luck Felipe!
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Felipe, Achei excelente sua performance na corrida, largar em último deve ser muito perigoso ainda mais com um carro tão superior aos que largam logo à sua frente. É muito bom ver um brasileiro na Ferrari e com essa performance. Boa viagem a Bali, deve ser um lugar muito bonito, aproveite pois você merece ! Abraços, Edú Costa
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Oi Massa A corrida da Malàsia foi boa mas soube a pouco. Desta vez espero ve-lo mesmo là a frente. Um abraço e boa sorte para domingo
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    6 STATO veramente bravo continua cosi....6 riuscito a contenere anche il grande Schummy Forza Felipe la tua prima vittoria e vicina. ciao
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    A Great drive, Felipe, to finish 5th from where you started, with all the various problems. If we spectators found waiting until the Sunday morning to know the exact grid frustrating, it must have been much worse for the drivers & the teams. Enjoy your break with the family on Bali! Ann
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Well Felipe I thought you were great on Sunday, and beating Michael Congratulations! Hope you have a nice time in Bali, I'm sure everyone will enjoy the break!!
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Felipe sei stato veramente ma veramente super bravo, sono sicura che in Australia le cose andranno ancora meglio!!! FORZA FERRARI!!!!!!!!
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    congratulation Felipe for your fifth place ! You're a very talented Driver ! FORZA FERRARI ! FORZA FELIPE ! FORZA SCHUM !
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Many congratulations Felipe I really enjoy ur race and at the end it was amazing to see u and Michael to fight.I hope that from the next race u both ll always fight for the win:)and I think that thinking about the pace that the car can keep and also about the copetitiveness of the tyres u ll have a lot of occasions to please us with red challenges:) I gree with u if u had started the race nearer the front runners u would be able to fight for the victories because ur pace was pretty similar to the Renault 's pace.Anyway the season is so long I hope that you ll celebrate soon ur first win:))u will I m sure
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Complimenti per la gara: hai saputo gestire ottimamente un'auto strapiena di benzina, aspettare il momento giusto per tirare fuori le unghie e tirare al massimo quando opportuno...cosa chiederi di più? Con una posizione decente in griglia sicuramente avrai ottimi risultati...non ci resta che aspettare SEMPRE E SOLO FORZA FERRARI MaRa
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Great race Felipe and a great performance. Congratulations!!!! On Sunday you show everyone why you are a Ferrari driver cause you are really talented and good. To start from the back of the grid and finish 5th especially in such conditions with the temperature and the humidity of Malaysia is really fantastic. Wish you a good time in Bali and I cross my fingers for the Australian Grand Prix. I want to see you and Michael on the podium there........ Forza Felipe PS I really want to meet you one day .Impossible ? Let's hope that it isn't Chiao
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    GREAT Felipe, i'm very happy for your results. I hope in Melbourn you can do much more, all Ferrari fans are with you. Enjoy your trip and prepare for the figth in Australian GP. See you, Francesco
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Hi Felipe...tanti complimenti per la gara in malesia..., hai dimostrato in una fra le gare più difficili della stagione e con un auto difficile le tue capacità....tanti complimenti.... Speriamo che in Australia vada ancora meglio...sia per te che per Michael...per noi Ferraristi è sempre difficile non vedere lottare le rosse per le prime posizioni..anche se il risultato di domenica come gia detto ci soddisfa...ma si guarda sempre avanti giusto???? speriamo che sia una stagione ricca di soddisfazioni...un saluto a presto vale
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    Felipe Massa ha fatto il punto della situazione dopo la gara di Sepang. Il brasiliano si e' detto contento del risultato e ha dichiarato che il ritmo della Ferrari, con meno benzina, sarebbe stato probabilmente molto simile a quello della Renault. "Giovedi' pomeriggio a Sepang ho incontrato per la prima volta i giornalisti dopo il Bahrain. Erano tutti assiepati nella piccola hospitality Ferrari rinfrescata dall'aria condizionata: non si puo' stare al sole per piu' di un paio di minuti in Malesia a causa dell'umidita'. La notizia del giorno era il mio cambio di motore e quindi la penalita' di dieci posizioni in griglia. Un giornalista mi ha chiesto se era di mio gradimento partire indietro e arrivare al vertice con una buona rimonta. Gli ho risposto che l'ho gia' fatto in passato. Non so se mi abbia creduto, ma credo di aver dimostrato domenica pomeriggio che dicevo la verita'. La mia gara in Malesia e' stata di attesa del momento giusto per portare l'attacco. Credo che partire ultimo e finire al quinto posto sia un grande risultato. Ho perso un paio di secondi dietro vetture lente. Ad ogni modo, sono davvero contento del mio ritmo e se fossi partito piu' avanti penso che avrei potuto lottare per il podio. Nelle fasi finali, ho avuto un problema perche' dopo il rifornimento mi sono ritrovato con due kg in meno di carburante, quindi ho dovuto risparmiarne durante il secondo stint. Michael era vicino ma dovevo essere molto cauto con l'acceleratore per ridurre il consumo. Non e' stato facile per me, ma alla fine sono riuscito a tenerlo dietro. Ovviamente sapeva del mio problema. E' stata una normale battaglia per la posizione che ho gestito molto bene e quindi ne sono felice. Il ritmo e' stato incoraggiante, perche' se fossimo stati piu' leggeri credo che avremmo avuto piu' o meno lo stesso ritmo delle Renault. Posso dire che eravamo competitivi. La nostra strategia e' stata fantastica: ho perso molto tempo dietro le vetture lente ma quando ho avuto pista liber
  • Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 08:59 by
    It was a tough race as we have seen in TV, especially with those weather conditions! Must be very hard for all drivers and team members - so enjoy your trip with your girlfriend and family! Read you soon!

Comments: