Fan's Blog

There isn`t a lot to spare. Who cares? Whatever we`ve got we share!

July 22, 2006 · Posted by staffFerrari

There isn`t a lot to spare….  Economy. Rule change after rule change was meant to have been a cost-cutter but seems to only have added to the bills. Anyone here surprised?   Who cares? Whatever we`ve got we share!.......   Being the teachers` pet that I am, I completed the FIA survey. However, all the time I was answering the questions I got the distinct feeling that, like a rat in a laboratory maze, I was being manoeuvred towards the trap in the centre.   As to the Maranello/ Monaco/ Indianapolis “agreements” on the engine freeze – they lost me long ago. If you haven`t read the FIA press release “Engine Supply in Formula One” dated 16.07.2006, take a minute to do so. The phrase “Handbags at dawn” springs to mind.   I`m not a fan of standardisation which seems to be the way the FIA wants to go but then, being a dyed-in-the-wool member of the “Pinnacle of technical & technological excellence” club, I`m not likely to come up with ideas which may put that in jeopardy, am I? I have absolutely nothing against the “same make” series. Having identical cars doesn`t necessarily mean boring. I`ve heard the “It should all be about the driver” argument &, I`m sorry, I just don`t agree. This is F1!! It`s a team sport & includes the best minds as well as brilliant drivers. If we can`t give the brains full rein then the drivers may as well race against each other on identical video games. No, there has to be a better way…… but what? How can F1 become more economical whilst still remaining the pinnacle of motorsport & a viable spectator sport? Any ideas?

• Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009 10:42 by
    How long have you got? No, seriously, I agree with you about the best of the best. It's not just the standard parts and tyres but the 2 race engines and other Max rules which are sucking the life out of F1. He says that the public are not interested in engine technology, well, you can bet they are not interested in energy recycling either! How many thousand clever people are going to lose their jobs? and will they wait around patiently for 4 years to come back and work on a engine that is better suited to an economy run..... I don't think so. There have always been teams with more money than others and some spend it wisely and win races [which then generated more money] and some don't and either leave or sort them selves out and come up with a budget that is sustainable. There is no where in the book of the rules where it says that the FIA should have any input into team budgets, just as, in the survey they ask about mobile phones and television coverage. Not their concern. The fact that Max wants the manufacturers out is fairly well documented, I mean the stupid people won't agree with him... not like nice people like Midland and Prodrive. I hope he knows what he is getting in to, Of course it will be his successor who has to pick up the bits. I'm sorry but I can't tell you my cost cutting measures without payment of a huge consultancy fee. We armchair pundits have to eat too! Keep up the good work Ann. W
  • Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009 10:42 by
    I think that this is the most important discussion of the last years, if someone will be able to find a solution to this big porblem maybe we willl finally see more beautiful races as the of the years of Senna, Prost, Mansell and Piquet... but unfortunatelly it was not so easy...
  • Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009 10:42 by
    Ehm, I hope that I've undestand your words in the right way, I have read all in 20seconds and trasleted so quick only in my mind without a dictionary... now i doubt that i've right understand.... maybe if i'm wrong can you do a little summary for me? Excuse me, PLEASE!
  • Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009 10:42 by
    I think you understood perfectly, Ale :o)
  • Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009 10:42 by
    An idea: Rock 'n Roll Baby!!! No solution with a federation who do not listen the fan. Speakin with others money is not too simple. You have do a veri right arguments, but what we can do? All the web is against under the new rules changes. But they do all what they want. When Ferrari was in black period F1 lost interest, when Ferrari was back to win interest return on hig period, the solution, the old solution of Montezemolo, an alternative federation. I'm sure that all the interest to Ferrari can turn all the fan what we want.
  • Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009 10:42 by
    Hi Ann, frankly speaking no ideas. I hate the standardisation of F1 and I'm strongly interested in the technical part of the sport. The pinnacle-technology has always been an essential part of F1, therefor it should all be about the whole team, not only the driver. Nothing against makes-series, for example the Ferrari Challenge is very good racing and entertaining for the spectators, but F1 should remain the pinnacle of motor-racing and should not become the next bargain-series where poor man's pony wins. It is not all about the money in F1, otherwise Toyota should have won everything since they joined F1, but their results are poor, even with the biggest budget. Technology-freeze is evil, why should high-tech car manufacturers take part in a low-tech sport? Probably they will leave and spend the money elsewhere. Just a thought: What about a budget-restriction to maybe 150 million $ a year, verified by an FIA-bookkeeper, and no technical limitations and no freezes. The winner will be who designes the best package within the given budget. Who exceeds the budget, gets a penalty.
  • Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009 10:42 by
    I had a thought [no, honestly] about your openeing line, There isn't a lot to spare.... well, don't you think that if ten or fifteen years back Bernie had chosen to go with a fair and equitable share of the money that was pouring in, we would not be in the mess we are in today? There would still be independant teams with enough to run competitive cars... I don't know, perhaps it easy with hind sight. I can't wait to see what you do with the next two lines of the song. W

Comments: