Nice to see so many smiling faces!

March 27, 2012 · Posted by Fernando Alonso

It was nice to be back in Maranello after Sunday afternoon’s win. In the plane, I was thinking again about the race and I could hardly believe it. Then, once I’d arrived here, I saw the smiles on the faces of all our people and I was very pleased to see how strong is the desire to work to improve the car in the shortest time possible.

During the race, I only began to think the win might be on after the final pit stop. With the intermediates I was trying to gain as much ground as possible but I knew that on a drying track, as the possibility of switching to the dry tyres became a reality, then it could all change. Then, after the stop, I saw that Perez was very quick and he was putting me under a lot of pressure, but I knew that all the same, there was only one dry line which was no more than two metres wide: even if he got right into my slipstream, getting past would not be easy and I was hoping I’d be able to fend him off all the way to the end.

It’s a shame none of my friends bet on me winning in Sepang, or on me leading the championship after the first two races: I think they’d have won an impressive amount! However, my real friends are all very happy and pleased about the win, but no one, including everyone in the team, is under any illusions. The championship has not got off to the sort of start we wanted and there is much much to do. But refusing to give up is a quality that I have always admired about Ferrari, when I was racing against them and also now that I’m part of the team. The next two races will also see us on the defensive and there’s no doubt about that. While we are incapable of being competitive and able to fight consistently for the podium or a win, limiting the damage is the only thing we can do. If the conditions are normal, we must try not to lose too many points compared to the best: let’s hope we can do the same as we did in Australia and Malaysia…

Now, I’ve got a few days here in Italy to undergo a routine medical check-up at the Physiology Centre at Forli where my trainer Fabrizio Borra reigns supreme. I do these medical and physical checks two or three times a year to see what shape I am in and to control every aspect of my body. Then, I’m heading back home to Spain to see the family, so we can spend a few days together. You need a bit of time to relax after such a demanding race as the one in Sepang and then it will be time to put the finishing touches to preparation for another back to back run, this time in China and Bahrain, which means more long journeys and changes of time zones. Imagine, when I left it was still winter and now, after three weeks away, we are right in the middle of spring: it’s a nice change!

The past three weeks have been my first on Twitter and I have to say it’s been a very enjoyable experience. It’s something I’d wanted to do for a while and I myself put the work in to get it up and running. Over the past months I had seen that there was a lot of talk about me on the Internet and on social media sites, so I thought it would be better if I was on it myself, don’t you think? It means I can give my own point of view, talk about my life, what I get up to when I’m travelling the world going to the races, trying to put across my real feelings. Nothing technical though, because deep down, Formula 1 is still a sport where discretion when it comes to certain aspects is still important, but it’s a way for me to describe what goes on in the world of someone who does the job I do. For now, it’s great, especially reading all the tweets from my followers and the suggestions they send me: I don’t reply to them, because it would take me all day, but I read all of them and I will try and improve my standard of tweeting. I have to say I was very surprised, first and foremost by the number of followers I had almost immediately. When I put up the first video I had made, I was having a stop off in Doha on the way to Australia and in the airport lounge, I had a bet with my manager and with my physio Edoardo as to how many followers I would have before leaving: I said a thousand, Luis eight hundred and Edoardo six hundred. Well, after four hours, when it was time to take off for Melbourne, the number had reached 39 thousand! Then there’s the level of enthusiasm: there are so many messages, all of them positive and I have to say that it gives me a real boost.

• Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 05:47 by henry y
    Nice to see you in the first podium
  • Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 05:49 by Sarah
    Fernando, You can't even imagine how i was happy when you finished 1st!! I want to see you on the podium every year, every race, every GP! i hope and I belive you can be 3 times world champion! Your fans love you very Much!! There are a lot your fan in my country - Azerbaijan! If you've read this message i'll be very happy! Greetings from Azerbaijan! I love very Much!!
  • Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 05:52 by henry y
    Nice to see you in the first podium
  • Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 06:08 by lorraine
    I'm still in shock I can't believe tht you won its like I'm dreaming you are the best driver in Formula 1 I never miss a race and I'm always checking your car it was MAGICO for sure you will win more races
  • Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 07:39 by Ad
    Fantastic race last Sunday, congratulations to the whole team!
  • Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 07:41 by Pablo
    MAGICOOOO!!! GRANDEEE!!!
  • Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 08:14 by Helder Kiala
    Hi Fernando, I am a Williams' fan, but definitely your #2 fan (as everyone wants to be #1), and strongly believe you are the best driver in the current field. Will be cheering for you all the way from Angola! Good luck for the championship, and let's win it! Forza...
  • Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 09:22 by Steve
    Amazing race Fernando. You deserved to win. Fingers crossed you get another great result in China. Good luck!
  • Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 09:39 by
    Greetins Fernando. I'm from Zaragoza and I follow you since 2003. I still feel goosebumps remembering your first victory in Hungry. I never miss any of your races.I just want to show you my best wishes and good luck for the next races. You are the best driver so far! Sigue así Nano, ¡eres el mejor!
  • Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 10:32 by brahma
    Hi Fernando, Great Win in a very difficult movement. You are an inspiration. Go Fernando Go.
  • Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 10:44 by evelina
    thank you so much Fernando for making us smile!!! for sure your beautiful smile on the highest step of the podium worths a lot!!!honestly we are all so proud of you and proud of this team-as Andrea told on the team radio.it was a very touching moment from your engineer and made us cry from joy!!!! wish you the best for your check up!!!kisses from Athens-Greece.
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 03:19 by FasterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...firstly congratulations again to your incredible victory. That was one of the most beautiful WINs you achieved. Lots of going on in pitlane, lots of going on on the track, also the weather condition ' rain or no rain '... We were so nerve breaking to watch. But Fernando, you were so focus, you were so calm and of course you showed us once again how brilliant you are..!!!!! Reading your dairy this time, i feel so emotion. Thanks for putting so much time to us and trying to write to us (your fans) in your spare time. It is always so pleasure and grateful to read your message from here, your twitter also your facebook & your website. We really couldn't ask you any more. We can only say to you how much we appreciate letting us know you more & better..xoxo Yes, there is bit of time to recharge, to relax.... Have a great time with your family & freinds.... Happy Easter.....we will see you soon....love you...xoxoxo
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 03:43 by lupe
    Fantastic job Fernando!, only the legends can win like you did. Forza Ferrari!.
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 05:17 by henry
    Nice to see you in first podium mate!
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 06:26 by Carlos Armendariz
    Keep it up Fernando, Greetings from Guatemala
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 10:00 by Balazs Szabo
    Fernando! I am amazed by you. You are the best driver in the world, no doubts about it. You have to encourage the team to work very hard on the developments while assuring that they correlate with the reality. Ferrari mean so much for me, I haven't been so happy for a long-long while. I want Ferrari and you standing on the top of the podium frequently. Best wishes to you!
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 11:25 by kimcanada
    So nice to hear you so happy. I am not on twitter, but maybe I should be!! I hope you read these messages as well. Kim
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 12:12 by Fernando
    Great race Fernando, I use to waku up in the mid of the night just to see you drive. Drivers like you make the F1 so excited. Congrats for your victory and I hope Ferrari can make this car better for you. Cheers from Brazil.
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 12:24 by Eszter
    Thanks Fernando, was a very good idea to go on Twitter. You are a very nice man, thanks for sharing your thoughts! Lot of people follow you, and will love you even more. Thinkinkg that you just cannot be that perfect ?! But you are :-)
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 02:17 by Anna
    I am proud of you. I always will be your fan. Magic!
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 02:25 by Danni
    So glad you won in Malaysia! I didn't expect you to win because your Ferrari isn't as competitive as some of the other teams cars but it was a fantastic win and hopefully you can improve the car more so you can win the championship! :D
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 02:51 by Roberto Calderan
    Thank you for a great race. I know you and the team can do it. Do not give up!
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 03:03 by Trixie
    Fernando, you are amazing. I watched the race on Sunday and was so happy that you won. Congratulations. You are the best!
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 03:46 by Ashok Sundaram
    You're the king of consistency Alonso - as I mentioned in my response to your last posting, you never cease to amaze me. You never ever give up - I just saw a news article where Button said "Even after such a bad race - and that's hopefully my bad race for the year gone - I'm still only 10 points off the lead, and that's Alonso in a Ferrari. That's not the worry," It is utterly daft on Button's part to discount or write you off - we are all rooting for you Alonso. If Ferrari can show pace in the wet, I am sure sooner or later they should be able to translate that in dry conditions. When that happens, WATCH OUT!!!
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 03:46 by Irina
    Bravo, Fernando! You are Magic! :) From Russia with love!!!!
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 03:50 by Safwan
    come on Alonso, you can do it..We believe in you, Massa and Ferrari...Ferrari4Life... Ferrari fan from Singapore
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 04:29 by Jeff
    Congratulation Fernando, fells good to see Ferrari on top again...for now lol!! Your the best the sport has to offer! Greetins from Québec city,Canada! Jeff
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 05:00 by Rob van Starkenburg
    I still dont believe that i had to cry when you crossed the line and won the grand prix. I was so happy at that moment. Still got a smile on my face. Good luck on the next couple of races!
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 06:38 by
    "This is one of the most beautiful... One of the most most beautiful... We are so proud of you.." Enough said... Hopefully changes on a car can make it more competitive... You are often a big inspiration for a lot ordinary people... Greetings to you, as well as Robert (Kubica) from Croatia... Keep on going, I wish you guys the best..
  • Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012 10:40 by Eric Indiana
    Alonzo, although I’m a life time Schumacher fan you are truly one of the greatest drivers ever! You have proved that many times but Malaysia 2012 was true MAGIC. Unbelievable how you can take a lower end car and beat the heck out of superior cars. You are a true living legend and hope to see you battle for many more years to come.
  • Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 06:49 by venkatesh
    Wow its a great race and great weekend at the end and congratulations to Fernando and Ferrari
  • Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 07:35 by
    I was extremely happy that you won the last race. Really, what better things than seeing your favourite driver winning your home Grand Prix? That felt like a gift! As has been said all the time, you are indeed the most complete driver on the grid. You constantly perform beyond the car's capability. Let's hope Ferrari can improve the car before it's too late because the last thing we want is to have another season like the previous ones. Forza Ferrari. Forza Alonso. Forza Felipe.
  • Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 08:09 by claire Vandamme
    Fernando, it is so nice of you to share your thoughts and feelings with us ! Thank you, I really enjoy reading your blog and I will certainly follow you on twitter, keep up the good work, you're the best !! Greetings from Claire.
  • Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 09:12 by
    Avanti Fer . . . Avanti!!!!
  • Friday, 30 Mar 2012 03:12 by Jose Marron
    MAGICO FERNANDO. You are the best driver in the world. Greetings from Argentina.
  • Friday, 30 Mar 2012 06:12 by reno righetti
    Great job Fernando I hope you win every race.You desserve it,
  • Friday, 30 Mar 2012 09:12 by tasou21
    AVANTI FERNANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Friday, 30 Mar 2012 09:32 by Arv
    Alonso u rock...I was a great fan of ferrari from schumi after he left I thought no body can fill his place. But from 2011 u filled enough. I pray u get a fightable car to win 3rd championship this year. So all ur and ferrari fans can walk bravely. Cheers
  • Friday, 30 Mar 2012 09:48 by daparix
    Love to see smiling faces at Ferrari, it is a gift to enjoy at work and it is additional burst to have job done!! Bravo Fernando
  • Saturday, 31 Mar 2012 01:38 by Johan Wallin
    Awesome. Have to admit that I was crying. You are something. The best driver in the world. Simply fantastic. I keep my fingers crossed for the next race. And hope that the house of performance will get it a bit easier for you. Do not give up - after all you are in the Red. And it will come together - as it has been the last 47 years. All my best wishes. I lift my hat for you. J
  • Saturday, 31 Mar 2012 04:56 by Dave
    Fantastic job Fernando! You truly proved that you are the best driver in Formula 1. Greetings from America! Can't wait to have F1 back in the states again:)
  • Saturday, 31 Mar 2012 06:16 by
    Great job Fernando.
  • Sunday, 1 Apr 2012 08:53 by Yvnair
    It was my first time watching f1 in sepang. I'm glad to see u on the podium. Made my experience much more memorable. Felicidades!
  • Sunday, 1 Apr 2012 11:59 by Marta
    How good can come back to comment on this blog, you can not imagine my happiness when I saw it was going to win the race, see you on the podium is an indescribable feeling! Your determination excites me! Love you. Kisses from your fan number 1. Marta.
  • Sunday, 1 Apr 2012 02:02 by K FUI
    best driver in the fomula one
  • Sunday, 1 Apr 2012 06:49 by Fluppe Nos
    What a great race, you are a great racer, THE BEST. What you can do with a car where everyone thought it can not win, You did it. Fantastico. You deserve to be world champion with ferrari.
  • Sunday, 1 Apr 2012 11:06 by Valentina Barac
    Dear Fernando, that was amazing, eight days after I am still smiling :). I really hope that soon you'll get the car that matches your talent. Saludos de Croacia, te queremos mucho :).
  • Wednesday, 4 Apr 2012 12:17 by kimcanada
    I just want to take a minute and wish you a Happy Easter, so HAPPY EASTER FERNANDO!!! Kim (Canada)
  • Saturday, 7 Apr 2012 12:57 by FasterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...Happy Easter..*_* I can imagine how much you enjoy the time with your family & friends. I know you will head to Shanghai soon. Have a safe flight, hope you will use to the time zone different. We will hear you from Shanghai. Couldn't wait..Good luck..FORZA#ALO...xoxoxo

Comments: