I’m still enjoying it!

July 13, 2011 · Posted by Fernando Alonso

What a great feeling, winning again! And I’m revelling in it all the more now I’m back home in Oviedo. When a Grand Prix is over, there is a rush of emotion, but then there are so many things to do, what with press conferences and the debrief, so you have to stay very focussed. But the following morning, you wake up happy and there’s a truly special feeling that goes with it. And I have to say I’m still feeling that way now!

I haven’t spent too much time thinking about the technical reasons behind the win in the British Grand Prix. Each race has its own story and we know only too well how much things can change when you go from one track to another. There were definitely some major improvements on the car, which mean it feels much easier to drive now and you can feel it much more stuck to the ground than before, especially in the fast corners. That means it’s got more aerodynamic downforce, which was the area where we trailed our main rivals the most. However, I don’t think the changes to the engine mapping were a factor: we were quicker specifically at the part of the track where you practically don’t have to brake, which means it is the actual car that is going well.

This win won’t change our approach to the coming races. We have to be realistic, because we are 92 points behind in the classification and that is a very big gap! We will tackle the races one at a time, trying to win as many as possible. This will also involve taking a few more risks and maybe it will happen that we pay a high price for that, but there is no alternative. We are definitely not giving up, but we must not think about the championship: as Montezemolo said yesterday in Maranello, we are keeping our feet on the ground.

On Sunday morning, I had great fun doing a couple of laps in the 375 F1 which brought Ferrari its first championship Grand Prix win back in 1951. I had already driven a very similar car, the 375 Indy, in Valencia at the Ferrari Days event. It definitely takes a bit of getting used to with a very different pedal arrangement, with the accelerator on the left and the brake on the right. The engine power to tyre grip ratio is the complete opposite of the cars we drive today. You need to change your driving style to go quickly, but it was a wonderful experience. Sure, back then, not only did the drivers need to be incredibly talented, but they also needed a good dose of craziness!

There was a special atmosphere at Silverstone on Sunday. The crowd is always very big there and they are all very involved in the event. For us it felt different and I can’t explain why: maybe it was because we wanted to do well on this important anniversary in our history. Ever since I have been with Ferrari, there have often been unusual coincidences between my wins and special moments. For example, on my debut in red in Bahrain last year, or the first time I raced for the Scuderia at Monza. Now this win has come, sixty years after Gonzalez took the victory. I hope there will be many more moments like this!

• Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 05:07 by Jon
    Hi fernando great win last weekend! I was at silverstone on sunday for my first grand prix and you winning made my day complete. Keep it up and good luck for the rest of the championship :)
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 06:17 by Ricardo Consulini
    That was truly a fastastic day Fernando. Not only because We finally won, but because YOU and the whole TEAM are fantastic. Ferrari forever.
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 06:58 by Sophie Akhurst
    Well done Fernando! I was there for my first GP and never dreamt that you would win it! It made my year! Keep it up :D
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 07:06 by
    Fantastic win Fernando. Look forward to see you win the next race in Germany and claw back the Red Bull lead. Go for it.
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 07:22 by Paul Korab
    Well done Fernando, at last a Ferrari win and something for the team to build on. As you say, a big gap to the front but it's possible! Red Bull are on the run, Ferrari's technical people have obviously addressed some issues and the way you ran away at the front at Silverstone has probably got the competition thinking long and hard! Felipe also did well for the team, unlucky in the penultimate corner to a dubious move but better luck next time. Good luck in the next race!
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 08:10 by Bill Gough
    Fernando you bring our family so much joy when you win. We all admire so much your driving style. Some years you haven't had so much luck but always your class is clear to see. Just one worry though, unlike you, your starts are not always the best.
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 08:11 by Mustaq Adam
    Hi Fernando. "Cool, calm and collected" is how I can sum that up. Seb has a lot of confidence because of his momentum and this reflects in his driving. Winning brings confidence and Seb has become more polished this season due to Ferrari/Mclaren being far behind in car development. Seb looked flustered afterwards, as when you have the best car and you lose, you tend to question your driving. Seb was flustered after the race. How can Fernando beat me when my car is superior. It affected him and this pressure has to continue. Seb falls apart under pressure (if you remember last season). Keep up the good work.
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 08:52 by Szabó Balázs
    Hi Fernando! I am glad to read something about you given today is my 21th birthday. You were so close to the victory in the last races. Winning at a track which was supposed to suit our main rival was very special. For me it was a bit confusing you were dominant in the second sector, which is perfect for our main rival and you lost a bit of time in the first and especially last sector. However the last sector is quite slow with its last corners compared to other part of the track. We have to succeed at Nürburgring, in Hungary it will be very hard to beat our biggest rival, because they will be able to use their off-throttle gases very efficiently there because of its middle-speed corners. I know you always give your best and so does Ferrari! You have to bear in mind: you don't need to win everytime, you have showed many times so far that you are the most talented and complex driver out there! Well done, your success is only down to your talent! Best wishes: your biggest fan, Balazs
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 08:58 by David
    Great race!
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 09:03 by
    Hola Fernando! I am a Spanish lady living here in England. I was last weekend in Silverstone for my first F1 race on live. I think you have a great inside power that makes you to be an unique driver in F1. Keep in mind your goals and targets, you will achieve whatever you think in. I am sure I will see you soon as the Worldchampion with Ferrari. Just keep pushing and working same as you have done all your life. It is amazing to see how our generation do not give up easily. All of us working for different companies and areas but at the end all of us after our dreams. Un saludo y hasta pronto!
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 09:08 by Shathiso Ntibi
    I'm lost for words... What a drive!!!! Congratulations Fernando.. Thanks for making my year...
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 10:59 by kimcanada
    Hi Fernando So good to hear you so happy. Keep positive and keep smiling. You are never far from my thoughs honey, until next race Love you lots Kim (Canada)
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 11:04 by Carol Cross
    Congratulations on a fantastic win. I hope you can continue to close the gap on Red Bull. If anyone can, you can! :) X
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 11:14 by Gabriel
    Hey Fernando! How fantastic was your win last weekend. Once again, you proved why you are the best driver actually. As you, I'm still enjoying your result. The gap between you and Seb is too big, but I'm sure that you're gonna do whatever you can to reduce it and to give us, your fans, the happiness to see you on the highest place of the podium. Wishes, from a brazilian :)
  • Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011 11:45 by 'Amirah
    Wooohoo! First win of the season! Congrats Fernando. It was no doubt a flawless race and also a spectacular one. You've beaten the 2 Red Bulls! Good job Fernando and to the team as well. Forza Ferrari! ♥
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 01:01 by Mark C.
    Forza Alonso! Forza Ferrari! Congrats Alonso, what a great race you drove, along with Felipe and I couldn't be happier as a Tifosi to see us win on our 60th anniversary. I wish I could've been there to see it, we Americans miss out on all the great F1 stuff! Grazie mille!! Ciao.
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 04:59 by Mike
    A special win and a truly great drive Fernando. I wish you all the best for the championship
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 05:05 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...Great great victory once again, and sure there will be more big celebrations coming!! We just need to focus ourselves, also keep very positive same as you always do.. Please enjoy the time with your family & friends and we will see you back on the track next weekend.. Fernando, you are a Amazing, Incredible and Brilliant F1 pilot.. Avanti Avanti Avanti... xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 05:57 by lupe
    Finally a win!!, amazing job by all the men and women at the scuderia, and of course you, those times on sector 2, simply amazing. Let's hope 90% of this newly found speed comes down to the upgrades. Congratulations Fernando.
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 06:40 by Daisy
    Fantastic drive at Silverstone Fernando! A huge reward to everyone at the team! And yes, I have absolute faith in you and Ferrari that many more moments like this will come in the near future!! Hugs. =)
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 07:03 by Eszter Oroszi
    Hey Fernando, You did it!!! Enjoy your well deserved win! Thanks for making us happy, I can`t tell you how great it feels to see you driving, winning, being happy! Lots of love from Budapest.
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 08:19 by Basanth
    Congratulations Fernando. You drove a beautiful race. Please repeat last year's result at Monza again. Cant wait to see you and Ferrari celebrate in Italy.. All the best for the rest of the championship.
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 08:31 by Nizla
    Congratulations Alonso!!! What a fabulous fabulous fabulous drive that was! There was no stopping you and that was great to see! :)Hope you have a super time relishing this victory back home! Good luck for Germany and all our thoughts, prayers and best wishes are with you! Lots of love, Niz from Sri Lanka
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 09:20 by Andy
    Hello Fernando, That was a brilliant drive. My fingers are crossed for you at the next race in Germany. Ferrari are on top again, but only with you driving.
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 01:21 by Matdina
    You were great Nano!! I was happy in the moment! You were the happiest man in the world, weren't you? :P :D Much greetings from the Czech Republic. ;)
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 02:22 by
    Hi nano... Amazing win last weekend...finally the first win of the season...keep it up;p Love you always...Bahrain
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 03:18 by alfemo
    It was great to see you jumping on the podium. I believed in your driving and the performance of the car even though you were once passed by Hamilton. Once you led the race, no one could match your speed. So, next time I hope you well get the pole or at least P2, and you will have a good race!!!! Toma!! Greetings from Japan!
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 03:25 by ayumi
    Congratulation,Fernando!! I was so impressed.I had been waiting your winning so far. Your driving was fantastic.I hope your next winning. Do your best and good luck. big thank you from Japan.
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 04:19 by Ridhwaan
    Alonso racing and winning for the Scuderia. A beautiful sight. I hope Massa will find some form soon! Really big fan of him too. Forza Ferrari!
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 04:29 by Gav
    Forza Ferrari, well done and many many congratulations on your spendid victory at Silverstone. I have to say I was a nervous wreck during the last 10 laps but what a feeling afterwards. I was on cloud 9. Keep it up Fernando and keep your number 1 fan a very happy man. Once again WELL DONE.
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 08:19 by Jane
    Congratulations Nando!!! That was a great race. Love Jane (USA)
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 09:43 by Caroline Swanson
    One race at a time Fernando, you definitely have the right idea! Enjoy being home, take care, love from Liverpool xx
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2011 11:05 by Nagore
    Congratulations Alonso!!! Great job. It was a matter of time,and finally it arrived. I'm really really happy. Nobody said it would be easy but impossible is nothing, yet. I hope you'll hit it in the middle with the risks you'll take and it will make you win a lot of races this season ;) Best wishes
  • Friday, 15 Jul 2011 05:18 by Juan Luis Rodriguez
    I'm from Dominican Republic, we wish you the best in the world, Congratulations on this tremendous victory, and I want you to know that you have a large fan base in this part of the world. Keep it up. You are the best
  • Friday, 15 Jul 2011 12:49 by M Adam
    Fernando, I had a sneaky feeling that you are going to excel at silverstone and boy you did a phenomenal job. loved seeing you on the top of the podium coz thats where you belong.. keep up the great work, Germany next and i hope we have a repeat of silverstone.
  • Saturday, 16 Jul 2011 04:34 by Stefano
    eyyyy Fernando, congrats at Silverstone, everytime I see that ferrari cross the line first I get a massive rush of excited emotions! Keep pushing all the way, don't let Sebastien feel comftable for one second, we have nothing to lose so race your heart out and prove you are a real Ferrari driver
  • Sunday, 17 Jul 2011 12:01 by Schnitzer
    You're a champ, Fernando. It was great to see you win again in Silverstone. Kudos from BCN and best wishes for Nurburgring!
  • Sunday, 17 Jul 2011 09:35 by
    That was a great day Fernando. I'm delighted to have been at Silverstone this year to see you on that top step. Am still high from it. I was at Monza last year too. You are an inspiration :).
  • Sunday, 17 Jul 2011 09:36 by MMA
    Hello Fernando! I am from Poland. I watched this race with my friends and we was so happy that you won the race. Congratulations. Greetings from Poland. If we don't have Robert we will support you. Good luck Fernando!
  • Monday, 18 Jul 2011 02:56 by Camila
    Hi Fernando, TOMA! TOMA! TOMA! Congratulations by the 25 five points. You were amazing! Congratulations Ferrari by the perfect GP. I hope that you achieve many points in the next GPs. Go Alonso! Go Ferrari! Good Luck in Germany! Best wishes! Camila from Brazil.
  • Monday, 18 Jul 2011 08:52 by Riyadh jarwani
    fernando, There is nothing more special than you in a that magic red car winning at the heart of the united kingdom beating every single car out there....plz plz extract more than the maximum from that beautiful single seater in Germany
  • Tuesday, 19 Jul 2011 12:48 by Miki
    Regards from Belgium Fernando, congratulations for this first place...we wait still for the next points...Miki
  • Tuesday, 19 Jul 2011 06:38 by Aneta Stojanova
    You'll never walk alone, Fernando! Be happy!
  • Tuesday, 19 Jul 2011 01:53 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...Less than 3 days for the Practice 1 & 2. I know you & your are all ready for another victory battle. Fernando, my birthday will be on the day after Germany GP, I truly hope you will take the crown and give me the best present. Once again, wishing you the very best luck. FORZA FORZA FORZA.xoxoxoxoxoxo
  • Tuesday, 19 Jul 2011 06:05 by evelina
    Hello FAster!!!!you are always in our hearts and you make them beat so fast at every race!!!!you are a true fighter and you always keep our hopes alive!!!! Greeks are very proud of you and Ferrari!!!hope to see a race circuit in our country soon!!!! big thanks from Ioanna & Evangelia (Alonsakia) Greece
  • Tuesday, 19 Jul 2011 09:57 by Tiana Assis
    yOU´RE MY SPANISH BOY AND GONNA WIN IN THE NEXT RUN GOOD LUCK FERNANDO
  • Wednesday, 20 Jul 2011 04:48 by Gav
    After Silverstone anything is posssible, wishing all the best and every success this weekend Fernando, bring it home again. All the very best.
  • Tuesday, 3 Jul 2012 06:26 by Rajen Govender
    Fantastic Alonso' we all screaming for you in south africa, win the title you desrve it...........

Comments: