Never give up: things can change very quickly in Formula 1

April 22, 2011 · Posted by Fernando Alonso

A break was much needed after such a packed start to the season. I had not been home for a month, given that I stayed out in that part of the world between Australia and Malaysia, so it’s nice to have a bit of free time with the family and close friends. Truth is there’s always something to do because you need to keep in shape, given that after this slightly longer than usual break we will face a really busy May, with three Grands Prix – Turkey, Spain and Monaco – in the space of four weeks.

It was definitely not the start of the season we were hoping for, for us and all our fans. Fifty points between the two of us is not much and we know our performance is not good enough at the moment, but we are aware that this can change very quickly. Formula 1 has always been like this: in one race you struggle to get into the top five and in the next, you’re fighting for the win. This year has been no exception to that rule: after the final test in Barcelona, everyone reckoned the McLarens were nowhere and then they always got on the podium, ending up with a win in China. At the same time, others were saying Vettel was unbeatable and then in Shanghai, we all saw how things turned out in the end. Three races are not yet enough to give a definitive judgement.

But this does not mean to say I am underestimating the seriousness of our situation, far from it. We have to work very hard to improve on every front. Success only comes when every element is operating at its best: the car, strategy, pit stops, drivers and everyone else included. I’ve stayed in touch with the engineers these past few days and I know there is no let up in the development of the car at Maranello. We have to catch up and we cannot allow ourselves to lose too much time, especially as the others won’t be twiddling their thumbs over the coming weeks. I trust in the team: I know what it’s made of and I can feel the will to fight back from everyone at Maranello. In the past I have experienced, first as an opponent and then as an insider how capable the Scuderia is of staging a comeback. I well remember when I was at Renault in 2006, that in the first part of the season I had built up a big lead but then Ferrari made such a good job of developing its cars that Schumacher staged a great fight back, overtaking me with two races remaining. Then you only have to look at last year: first in Turkey and then in England, it was suggested we should already be looking to the following year, but we did not give up and we managed to be in the fight for the title right up to the final race. It sounds like a slogan, but it’s the absolute truth: never give up in Formula 1!

If the racing season has yet to make me very happy, at least on the football front there’s been one bit of good news. I was very happy that Real Madrid won against Barcelona in the final of the Copa del Rey, as it’s a title that has eluded them for such a long time and it came at the end of a very closely fought game. Next up comes the Champions League semi-final, again against Barca. Whatever the outcome, it will be a truly fascinating tussle and obviously I’m hoping for a win for Mourinho’s team!

• Friday, 22 Apr 2011 07:39 by Shathiso Ntibi
    Hello Fernando.. rest up these Easters, we want you ready to fight back!! I believe in you and i believe in the team.. forza Fernando.. from shathiso in Botswana.. Your the best!
  • Friday, 22 Apr 2011 07:56 by Caroline Swanson
    Stay positive Fernando, and enjoy the time with your family and friends. Happy Easter, love from Liverpool xx
  • Saturday, 23 Apr 2011 04:12 by luke
    Not a good start of the season indeed but keep fighting Fernando (and Ferrari), the fans will support you always.
  • Saturday, 23 Apr 2011 01:16 by Diego Raphael
    Well. All I can say is that i trust in your job. I hope Ferrari give you a good car for the rest of the season and u can drive it perfectly. Make our saundays full of hapiness. Your brazilian greatest fan. "Tu mejor equipo, la aficion!"
  • Saturday, 23 Apr 2011 02:10 by alonsodz
    Fernando you're the champion don't worry.
  • Sunday, 24 Apr 2011 07:11 by from taiwan
    Alonso,you can win^^
  • Monday, 25 Apr 2011 01:33 by Camila
    Hi Fernando, I trust in you and Ferrari. In last year, you and Ferrari reduced the advantage to Red Bull. I believe that in this year you will reduce the advantage, but in the end the Ferrari will win. Fernando Alonso + Ferrari team + best engineers + best mechanics = victory Go Alonso! Go Ferrari! Go Faster! Good Luck in Turkey! Best wishes! Camila from Brazil.
  • Monday, 25 Apr 2011 02:36 by Tina Panos
    YOU!!!Happy Dance on top of the Ferrari, Parc Ferme. Will wait to see what you do. Think of something good;-)
  • Tuesday, 26 Apr 2011 07:40 by Alexander
    Hi,Fernando.Don´t worry-You will be the Champion this Year.Force Ferrari-Force ALONSO.Good luck in the classic turkey.YOU CAN WIN!!!!
  • Wednesday, 27 Apr 2011 06:20 by Adolph
    Keep positive keep believing and you will achieve. You can do it.
  • Wednesday, 27 Apr 2011 09:33 by Joe Aloisio
    Fernando you are the best F1 driver out there.... all you need is for the team to give a car to match, which i think they will. Forza ferrari
  • Thursday, 28 Apr 2011 11:15 by kimcanada
    Hi Sweetheart Just want to say I hope you have a great weekend, I can't wait to see your beautitful eyes next weekend. Stay safe, keep smiling, love you lots Kim (Canada)
  • Thursday, 28 Apr 2011 04:17 by Anders Skandsen
    Fernando, a great read! Never give up goes for so many things in life. I will use it in my humble clubracing. Many of us are looking towards you for inspiration and speed. And as a fan we won't give up believing you will triumph at Ferrari either. Anders
  • Thursday, 28 Apr 2011 10:58 by Prabhu
    As a true fan I belive that Ferrari and Fernando can turn things up immediately. This is the time to show our potential to our rivals. Never give up Fernando we are here to support you. Forza Ferrari.
  • Sunday, 1 May 2011 03:15 by Vinoth Kumar U
    Hi Fernando! I am a big fan of you. I hope you will get a good car and have a successful european start. Wish you all the best for the Turkish Grand Prix!
  • Monday, 2 May 2011 02:22 by Michael
    best wishes Fernando and good luck! You can do it! [:
  • Tuesday, 3 May 2011 01:26 by Ally
    Hi Fernando, here we are already counting down to the Turkish GP. I hope you've been able to work, relax at play in appropriate measures. Looking forward to watching you perform in the usual spectacular fashion. Hope the technical bods have been able to identify what's needed to give you the car you deserve and although your loyalty is obvious and undiminishing it must be disappointing to be 'held back' in this way. Good luck in Turkey I'll be as always, supporting you all the way. Ally , Norwich UK
  • Wednesday, 4 May 2011 12:44 by kim canada
    Hello Sweetie I am so happy to hear that the car has some upgrades, hopefully they will help and things will get back to normal for you. As far as I am concerned, Ferrari has the best driver in whole wide world in car #5, someone who has talent and dedication that is hard to find. This weekend, just sit back, relax, close your beautiful eyes and remember, you are Fernando Alonso, it doesn't get better than that. Good luck this weekend honey, you have all of my support, you and only you, I only wish you could feel it and draw strength from it, and from all of the fans that love you, with that you would be unbeatable. Stay safe, because that is the most important thing, and be happy. I love you a lot, hugs and more hugs, Kim (Canada)
  • Thursday, 5 May 2011 08:04 by Veronica
    Dear Fernando, I wish you good luck in Turkey :) I know you all worked very hard to make a step forvard :) Believe in you, you are our hero :) We are with you all the time.. Love, Veronica from the Czech Republic
  • Wednesday, 11 May 2011 07:15 by Amga from Mongolia
    At the end of this season I want to see you again as a 'Reigning World Champion"... Keep pushing...
  • Sunday, 26 Jun 2011 03:43 by Del
    well done Fernando, on fighting for podium finish you + the team + the fans will be the winning formula greets from UK Del

Comments: