A weekend to tackle one day at a time

April 6, 2011 · Posted by Fernando Alonso

I arrived in Malaysia a few days ago, having stayed a while in Australia, on Hamilton Island. I decided to stay in this part of the world so as to be used to the local time zone, given we now take on two races in the Far East, first in Sepang and then in Shanghai. It’s important to get used to the weather conditions, especially here where the temperatures are around the 30 °C mark and, much more significantly, it’s very humid. I have done some sport, because it’s essential to keep training: in this race you lose a lot of liquid and it’s very tough driving in these conditions, so you need to be on top form to tackle the weekend properly. Being 100% ready in this respect can make all the difference on Sunday afternoon as even on a mental level, this race is very special.

The fact that the weather can change so quickly here makes the preparation work for the various phases of work on track more stressful. Suddenly it can go from sunshine to a short sharp shower and you need to be prepared for every eventuality. It’s not just a problem for us drivers, as its affects the whole team: in some cases you need to be ready with a plan B or C, or even maybe a D for all the various scenarios!

Luckily it’s not all been work, as I was able to have some fun too which is good as it helps you unwind at such a busy time: from the start of testing there hasn’t been much of a break in this bit of the season.

I stayed in touch with the engineers, via email and phone. We re-examined the way the weekend had gone in Melbourne and we discussed our preparations for here in Sepang. We know we have to improve our performance level, but we are equally aware that in the end, the race result was not such a disaster. We will have a few minor updates on the car, but nothing very significant, or the sort of thing you could say would be the key to take a leap forward in performance terms. I believe we must stay concentrated on our own work and try to understand how to get all the potential out of the 150° Italia and I’m sure there’s plenty to come. Before we achieve that, it’s pointless standing here making predictions about how the weekend will turn out. We just have to tackle it one day at a time.

My happiest memory of Sepang circuit goes back to my first ever pole position, which I secured on 22 March 2003. Neither myself, nor my team, Renault, had expected that sort of result on Saturday morning, but come the end of qualifying, we found ourselves with both cars on the front row. It was a very happy moment and I can still clearly remember how the afternoon went, then the dinner and Sunday morning, when I was thinking about what would happen in the race. Every time I come back here, I think of that weekend, at the happiness of taking pole and the feeling of trepidation going into the race. I did not win, as later happened in 2005 and 2007, but I was still third and so managed to jump up on the podium for the first time. It was definitely a weekend to remember for a long time!

• Wednesday, 6 Apr 2011 03:20 by Javier
    Come on Nano!!
  • Wednesday, 6 Apr 2011 03:48 by FAster Eva Nano
    Hi Nano...Good to hear from you again before Malaysian GP.,You made a good choice to stay in Queensland after Melbourne..such refreshing...!! Yes.,we just need to stay concentrated on our own works..,hopefully we will see better results during the weekend., As the weather conditions will change so quick.,please stay focused ,stay calm and stay safe...We keep our fingers crossed and wishing you the very best luck..,We will be looking forward to see you jump on the podium again on Sunday...!! Fernando,we are always here to support you, Go FIGHTER & Go FAster.....!!
  • Wednesday, 6 Apr 2011 05:26 by alonsodz
    Malaysia is your race Fernando p1 is the aim but we need less pit stops :)
  • Wednesday, 6 Apr 2011 06:03 by Veronica
    Dear Fernando, hope you'll enjoy your time in Sepang.. I'll keep my fingers crossed during the qualification and race as I alway do, hoping it will help you to get as many points as possible :) Love, Veronica from the Czech Republic
  • Wednesday, 6 Apr 2011 06:43 by Nkosilathi dlamini
    im wishing you all the best Fernando for the race,I'm sure this time you guide the Ferrari to victory.!!!
  • Wednesday, 6 Apr 2011 10:17 by Alan
    Good luck Fernando for the race!
  • Wednesday, 6 Apr 2011 10:36 by nereaf1
    Hi Fer, it's nice to read about you again. Did you have a good time with the koalas? ;) Like always, I wish you the best for the race this weekend. Free your FAster Inside!
  • Thursday, 7 Apr 2011 08:48 by Caroline Swanson
    A strong qualifying Fernando, and a confident start off the line, then fingers crossed that you will win! Lots of love from Liverpool xx
  • Thursday, 7 Apr 2011 10:59 by efaw
    WISH YOU THE BEST FOR THIS WEEKEND WITH FERRARI, MY GREATES HERO, WE ARE HERE IN LIBYA SUFFERING BUT YOU STILL HAVE ALOT OF INSPIRATION ON ME AND WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD ACTUALLY TO CELEBRATE YOUR FIRST POLE AND WIN THIS YEAR. ALL THE BEST FERNANDO, EFAW "ALONSO'S LIBYAN LOVER"
  • Thursday, 7 Apr 2011 02:12 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...Good luck for Practice 1 & 2 tomorrow............TOMA........!!
  • Thursday, 7 Apr 2011 11:42 by Shathiso Ntibi
    Hello Fernando.. Good luck this weekend, hope the rain doesn't throw in too many unknown's.. i know you will be driving the wheels off the 150th Italia.. from shathiso in Botswana
  • Friday, 8 Apr 2011 05:27 by Camila
    Hi Fernando, I'm very anxious by race in Malaysia. I trust in you and all Ferrari team. I'll cheering for you! I believe that in this year you will be champion and that will win in this weekend. Go Alonso! Go Ferrari! Go F150° Italia! Go Faster! Good Luck in Malaysia! Best wishes! Camila from Brazil.
  • Friday, 8 Apr 2011 06:14 by Nat.
    Good luck! ;)
  • Saturday, 9 Apr 2011 11:10 by vasilios veranis
    Alonso you can do it. You are the best. I am sure Ferrari will catch really soon :)
  • Sunday, 10 Apr 2011 05:25 by kimcanada
    Great race today Fernando I was cheering so hard for you, but maybe next race will be better. Supporting you and with you always, Love you lots, Kim (Canada) Please do not be discourged, it is still early.
  • Monday, 11 Apr 2011 07:39 by Caroline Swanson
    Always focus on the positives Fernando,and keep collecting the points. The car was much better in the race, which is what we all wanted to see. Enjoy the next few days, love from Liverpool xx
  • Monday, 11 Apr 2011 10:39 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...It was not a easy race for you yesterday, especially you had to face the mechanical problem...But it was a good race..,because we can see how competitive your 150º Italia was on the track........!!! And now, we won't have much time to take break.,as Shanghai GP is in few days later...Fingers crossed, you and team will have more luck and the car has more pace...Forza.........!!!
  • Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 02:11 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...Are you ready for this weekend???!!!The forecast will be much cooler than in Malaysia..,and expecting dry & wet track,.Hopefully everything will be going very very well...,We are so looking forward..Fernando.,Bring it on and nail it.....!!! xoxoxoxo
  • Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 02:42 by Tina Panos
    Alonso, I'm ready to see you do the HAPPY DANCE on top of your Ferrari in Parc Ferme this year!!!! Like the good old days. You can do it!!! Get that team excited and working together!!! You will make it happen!!! Believe!!!! Your California Tifosi ;-)
  • Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 08:18 by Puvan
    Hi Fernando,it was a great race very exciting esp.when you guys on the heels on the Mclarens,i was a closest to the track i could get screaming with my 10 year old son,still have a sore throat from that, sad we did not get the podium finish that you deserve but proved we have the pace.Keep going Shangai will be better,Wish you guys both a good race this weekend. Puvan,Malaysia.

Comments: