Still five fighting for the title

October 12, 2010 · Posted by Fernando Alonso

I’m in Tokyo for a few days of relaxation in the middle of this long trip to the Far East. It’s a city I really like – always new and interesting – and it’s a pleasure to be able to spend a bit of time here. The outcome of the Japanese Grand Prix remains positive, even now in the cold light of day. We are in a phase of the season where one negative weekend can cost us dear and to come away with a good third place from a race that we expected to be difficult was important. We were certainly hoping that perhaps the situation would have been different in Suzuka but we must not forget that it’s a track that seems to have been designed to show off the qualities of the Red Bull. As early as Friday we understood that it would be difficult and, even if we knew what was coming, there remains a bit of regret that we couldn’t fight for the win. But now we must put the weekend behind us and concentrate on the next race, where we know that we must try to raise our level of performance: another 5th place in qualifying would certainly not help us.

In Korea we will have to attack because now we must close the gap to Webber. To lose any more ground would make the situation more complicated. We’ve been working on the new track for a few days on the simulator: the first two sectors are very quick with long straights while the last sector reminds me of the last part of the circuit at Abu Dhabi. The tarmac is wide, which should make it possible to try overtaking moves. I’m always curious to discover a new circuit, both from a personal and professional point of view. From next Wednesday onwards I will try to discover if the simulations have been accurate enough. Then we will have a few more kilometres of running available on Friday compared to usual so we can find the right feeling on the track.

I still think that the fight for the title is open for five drivers. Too many times this year we’ve seen someone come back into the game after they’d seemed out of it – and that could easily happen again. Having said that, perhaps the only one who can afford a bad weekend is Webber: for all the others it would perhaps mean giving up any chance, especially the ones who are a bit behind today. The Korean Grand Prix could therefore start to be decisive for some – and for me it will be important also to be able to count on my team-mate Felipe. I know that he will be really hoping to make up for two negative results and he has all the capacities required to return to the podium. What’s more, it will be very useful to work together to discover all the secrets of the new track so we can prepare our cars in the best way. In a moment like this every detail matters to achieve our goals.

• Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010 04:55 by 舒行蓉
    hi,fernando!just keep going !you are always fantastic~
  • Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010 05:31 by Alison Hatfield
    Hi Fernando, You are doing so well in this championship. I am hoping so much that you will win it. Enjoy your rest in Tokyo. With love, Alison from Wales xx
  • Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010 05:45 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...Get some more energy and ready to fight for the podium (even Pole position) in Korean GP...Fingers crossed,hopefully this circuit really suits F10 well...the best luck to you and your team,we all know you will take the win...!! Forza Fernando,Forza Ferrari...your best supporters from Australia..xoxo
  • Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010 06:20 by Camila
    Hi Fernando, Congratulations by the 15 points! Now, each point is more important! Congratulations Scuderia Ferrari by the good work in Japan! I'm very anxious by the Korean Grand Prix! I hope this circuit will be good for F10. I always believed that you would be world champion in this season. I only found this blog in May. In my second comment, I said that I believed that you would be world champion in November. Go Alonso! Go Ferrari! Go FASTER! Good Luck in Yeongam! Best wishes! Camila from Brazil.
  • Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010 06:30 by kimcanada
    Hi Fernando I hope you have a wonderful time in Toyko. Enjoy yourself and have fun. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I have to tell you, I am having the worst day ever, and I feel much better now that I read your note. I can't wait until next weekend, but also it makes me sad to think there are only 3 races left. It will be a long winter with you. hugs Kim (Canada)
  • Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010 08:05 by caribbeanauto
    Ferrari,please win the drivers champion.PLEASE
  • Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010 08:20 by Shathiso Ntibi
    Suzuka wasnt the greatest track for the f10 but you drove a great race an got valuable points.. Goodluck for the up coming race.. and i know you can take the title. from shathiso in Botswana, and yes you have fans all the way in southern africa.
  • Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010 01:08 by Fanis
    Good Luck Fernando! All the best wishes from me! Forza Ferrari, Forza Alonso!
  • Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010 08:08 by claire vandamme
    Dear Fernando, I hope you enjoy your time in Tokyo very much and that you have some time to enjoy and relax. I think that's very important with such a exiting and also stessfull time ahaed of you !I'm very curious what the new track will bring... I think you did a very good job last weekend, after all it were difficult circomstances. I believe in you ! You're just the best and most complete driver in every point of vieuw , therefor you really deserve your third worldtitle ! Kind regards, claire from belgium.
  • Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010 11:53 by brava
    Fingers crossed for you Fernando! Go show them some driving!
  • Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010 02:20 by Caroline Swanson
    Millions of us hope you achieve your goal too Fernando, so have a good break for now, and I wish you well for next week! Love from Liverpool xx
  • Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010 03:47 by Mitsuha
    I've been watching the races throuth the TV for years, but it was my first time going to the Suzuka and watching the race in live!!It was a good race even though you feel a bit regret. It was really really exciting! Gracias Fernando!!! Ojalá que pueda ir otra vez proximo año!! but before that, good luck in Korea!! I can see that you'll win the championship!! I'm glad that you like it here in Tokyo!! I'm hoping to see you around by chance^^
  • Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010 05:45 by Nada
    Hello nando,, I cant wait until the next weekend we have to make a good qualifying to help us in the race and to Reduce the gap between you and Mark.. and we are asking from felipe to help in the next race his help will be important .... enjoy your time in Tokyo ;)
  • Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010 06:17 by nereaf1
    Hi Fernando! I hope you are having a good time in Tokio, Japan is a great country. You did a very good race last weekend, and I think you will have a good chance to win in Korea... Kisses from Asturias :)
  • Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010 06:17 by MCTAN
    Hi! Fernando, although P3 is not an ideal result, but at least you are at podium. I am very happy for you. As you have said, Korea will be a decisive race. Be 100% focus. I know you can win the race. Fan from M'sia.
  • Thursday, 14 Oct 2010 01:21 by Sophie Akhurst
    Fernando I am holding my breath for you, I fear the Red Bull is too quick to catch but I know you just need a solid platform and you can make up the difference. I hope you win in Korea and grab this title race by the bull horns :D Go Go Fernando!!! From England :)
  • Thursday, 14 Oct 2010 11:50 by Stephan
    Hi Fernando, You were simply awesome at the Suzuka circuit. Its a known fact that this circuit was not that lucky for Ferrari for the last few seasons. But u drove excellent and got the crucial points. Now we are almost in the driver's championship. Wish you all the success in the upcoming races. You can do it. Waiting for the Korean GP.
  • Thursday, 14 Oct 2010 01:18 by Ally
    No one said it would be easy and I suspect no one really wants it to be easy, the sport revels in the skill and the challenge on the track and the cunning and expertise of the engineers, mechanics and staff in outdoing the other teams and drivers. Time to sort the men from the boys and for the real contenders to come forward and show what they're made of. Of course, you're at the head of this particular queue, Fernando and you'll no doubt relish this new challenge in Korea. No doubt you will thrill and entertain us all again. Wishing you love, luck and succcess next weekend - have a great race - Ally, Norwich UK.
  • Thursday, 14 Oct 2010 05:19 by luke
    Nice job in Suzuka. Now the real challenge is in front of you (and Ferrari), I know you can do it. Forza Alonso, forza Ferrari!.
  • Thursday, 14 Oct 2010 07:05 by Chinedu
    Alonso i believe in ur geniue skill...ur a genius 4rm another planet.ur highly admired.gud luck
  • Friday, 15 Oct 2010 04:21 by Prometeus
    Alonso...Ferrari ... the start in the race must be improved!! that is a must if we want to win!
  • Friday, 15 Oct 2010 09:46 by deeps
    fernando i hope you win the world championship starting from the korean gp.just dont worry about the red bulls yiu will get lucky...
  • Friday, 15 Oct 2010 02:34 by Cody Weston
    Hello Fernando, best wishes from everyone here in the United States. You can do it man, just focus.
  • Friday, 15 Oct 2010 03:05 by Caroline Ramsay
    Go Fernando!! You will always be a champion! I hope it will be top step on the podium for the rest of the season.
  • Saturday, 16 Oct 2010 12:28 by Chris Z
    Hi,Fernando,we all know you are the best.And we trust u can be the World Championship!!!Come On!And good lucky!I will always support you
  • Saturday, 16 Oct 2010 06:16 by Simone
    Hola Nando !! I believe in luck and I believe that you will have the best luck and also the team is in very good shape . Vamos Nando e Forza la squadra :-)
  • Sunday, 17 Oct 2010 12:25 by eddie delezen
    hola fernando, 3rd WDC this year!!!!!! you can do it...ferrari-alonso-massa, it can not get better!!!! good luck from the USA.
  • Monday, 18 Oct 2010 01:28 by
    A good car + team support + 101% driving....may be a little bit of luck? Fernando surely win this season driver's championship!!
  • Tuesday, 19 Oct 2010 11:37 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...It's not really a convenient environment for all the team members to stay during Korean GP...,but I believe you and your team will not think about this problem but RACE...Also all your team are focused on your championship right now..,we couldn't wait the another brilliant team works!!We will watch you and your F10 bring the first Yeongam Victory home on this circuit...Fernando,we believe you will be the world Champion in 2010...we all keep our fingers crossed for you and us fans....!! Forza the best fighter,Forza our FAster Man....Supporting you always...:)))
  • Tuesday, 19 Oct 2010 05:43 by mike
    YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!
  • Tuesday, 19 Oct 2010 09:54 by Alfredo
    Go Nano Go ahead!!! I hope see you wining in Corea. A good reason to get up early next sunday.

Comments: