To Monza to make up for lost ground

August 31, 2010 · Posted by Fernando Alonso

It was not the Belgian Grand Prix we were expecting, that’s for sure. I think the key moment in my race came on the very first lap. I had made a good start and made up a few places. The car was responding well and there was every chance of finishing up on the podium. Unfortunately, I had to come back to the pits almost immediately and that changed everything. Even though I climbed up the order, I only found myself back in the points because a handful of cars ahead of me retired: that explains what a difficult race it was. I could have done without going off the track, but it did not make a great difference: the rain meant that any chance I had of making up some places through our strategy evaporated. It seems that this year, the opening laps have not gone too well for me: in five races out of thirteen, I have found myself slipping to the back, either because of our own mistakes or because of circumstances beyond our control, as was the case two days ago in Belgium. I have always said – and I repeat it now – that in the course of the season, good luck and bad luck tend to balance one another out, so let’s hope that from now on it’s payback time!

The first final went badly, but there are still six to go. Going into these seven races, I had said that whoever did the best job in them would take the title: clearly, there are now three of us who need to make up for ground lost in Spa. With this points system and the way races swing one way or another, I am convinced we still have a significant chance. There are 150 points up for grabs, enough to turn the situation around. We must remain calm and concentrate, to try and make up the difference as soon as possible. There is no denying that the Monza race will be very important. At our home circuit we will have to do everything to avoid losing any more points: a good result here would be a great boost. If things go badly, it won’t be over but it would be a hard knock for team morale.

Racing at Monza for the first time as a Ferrari driver will definitely be a nice feeling. Our team is made up of 95% Italians and you can feel the passion and the will to do well for this special event. I can’t wait to be there and look forward to seeing the grandstands packed with fans: we need their support.

• Tuesday, 31 Aug 2010 07:28 by kimcanada
    Hey Fernando I agree with everything you have said, and you know that you have so much support. You must know how many people are behind you, going through everything with you, you are never alone in this, we all feel what you feel. I will be cheering as hard as I can for you, (my family is Italian, both my grandparents were born there, and an Uncle, my father was born in Canada, but he is still true to his Italian roots.) Good luck and fingers crossed. Hugs Kim (Canada)
  • Tuesday, 31 Aug 2010 08:06 by sara
    HI Fernando, I think that you in the Belgian Grand Prix didn’t have a good ending as well as the bad start. But in the middle you were very fast and good. Unfortunately the rain wasn't on your side. But I hope that you are going to have a better position in the next races. Especially in Monza, I hope that there will be a big support from the Italian people. Sara (Bahrain)
  • Tuesday, 31 Aug 2010 08:31 by Nanette
    Come on Alonso! You can still do this. We know you'll never give up. You are simply the best.
  • Tuesday, 31 Aug 2010 08:33 by Camila
    Hi Fernando, was very lack of lucky what happen in Spa :(, but I still believe that you will be the world champion, 'cause you're the best driver on grid. I'll cheering very much for you!!! GOOD LUCK in Monza!!!!!!!!! Go Magic Alonso! Go Faster! I trust in your FASTER spirit! Best wishes! Camila from Brazil :)
  • Tuesday, 31 Aug 2010 09:27 by Alan
    I wish you the best. Good luck for Monza!
  • Tuesday, 31 Aug 2010 10:04 by Javier
    Come on Fernando!! You can make the miracle and change everything!! Take the bull by the horns and demonstrates what you can! Saludos desde Zamora(Spain)
  • Tuesday, 31 Aug 2010 10:17 by
    Hi Fernando! It was a bad race in spa but we know that we can do it! Maybe it is better to have a DNF when you are 8th despite when you are 1st.. You definitely have our support! We are with you! And i can't wait to see you world champion with the prancing horse!!! Go and win in monza! In our home race!
  • Tuesday, 31 Aug 2010 11:25 by David
    Fernando you should only think race by race.The time will say if you can win the world championship.Be patient and enjoy the experience of drive for ferrari.Good luck.
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 12:54 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...We are same as you to Look forward to see all the Ferrari and yours fans packed on the grandstands in Monza..You know what should do,and we all believe in you 200%..love to see you bakc on the top..just bring it on,mate!! (ps...I just booked grandstand tickets for AUS GP next year,,2 FAsters will be there for you...:)) Forzaaaaaa Fernando...!!
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 02:43 by Daisy
    Don't worry Fernando, you always have our greatest support whenever and wherever you are! I firmly believe you can pull yourself together and fight for the title as long as there is any possibility! ¡VAMOS FERNANDO!
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 04:32 by
    You are a hero in our hearts,and you will win the WDC2010,all of us are always with you.Good luck to you.
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 04:48 by evangeline
    I support you, whether you are or how difficult the situation in the future, I will believe you, believe you, there is no reason to believe you .... I was in China, that is how far the distance, across thousands of miles, my Heart will always follow you ... maybe you do not know this world is my existence, but what is relationship? I will continue to concern you, support you, love you! Only, or hope that one day in the future, I will stand in front of you, see your charming smile, really good looking, I do not know what words to express me, Come on! Fernando ...
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 09:50 by Kevin Taylor
    I was deeply disappointed after the Sunday's race. Fernando is now again in a situation which is hard to be turned round. I'm sure Fernando is the best pilot on the grid, so I really believe WE can win this year's championship!
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 10:37 by Laura
    Hello Fernando!!Thank you so much for write here.You can win this championship.I am going to support you always.I am with you.ÁNIMO FERNANDOOO!!!!
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 10:54 by Mickey
    Go Nando, you are the best, good luck in Monza! Never surrender !
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 01:45 by Caroline Swanson
    Thrill us at Monza Fernando and give the field a pasting! Love from Liverpool xx
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 02:01 by ashy
    Fernando & Ferrari, please don't give up, not even a bit! until the very end! we know you can do it!
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 02:14 by Pradeep Rotti
    Dear fernando, It has been very hard to digest the hard luck that has surrounded you and Ferrari this year. Please revive your championship hopes with flawless drives for the remaining races. It has been a long wait for we Alonso fans , longing to see your jubilation as a World Champion. It would be a treat and a perfect gift that you would hand all your fans and well wishers around the world. My heart is pounding hard . Please do it.
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 06:51 by luke
    Keep fighting Fernando, the fight for the WDC is getting harder and harder but Ferrari fans support you. Good luck for Monza.
  • Wednesday, 1 Sep 2010 08:20 by Carlos
    You are the best driver!! Good luck in Monza.
  • Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 04:02 by Renata Raffs
    You´ll always have the support of your fans, and for Monza, this important moment for the turning point, you will receive good energys from all over the world! It's time for luck to turn... Talent and speed, every body knows you have a lot, always! My best wishes from BRAZIL! See you in Interlagos racing for the title!
  • Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 04:14 by
    I'm still confidence with you and your team performance. You are shown to us how good you are in the middle race at Belgian. I hope you will success in another 6 remaining race especially at Monza. You can do it Alonso. We always stand behind you.
  • Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 08:50 by vital912
    Hi Fernando!We are from Ukraine. We will believe you.Good luck to you.
  • Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 12:54 by Ani
    Fernando, I'm sure you will do it. I will not stop supporting you no matter what happens. This weekend me and my friend screamed for you as usual. I just wanted to tell u that nobody deserves to win the championship more than u and u will do it, I just know it. My admiration to your endless ambitions, I've never seen such a great person. And when u win the championship, we your fans will be there to shake your hands and to tell u once more that YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!
  • Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 04:53 by nereaf1
    Hi Fernando, good luck for Monza :) Kisses from Asturias :)
  • Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 07:40 by
    Hola Fernando! Please, don't worry, everything will be ok in Italy. I believe in you and I know, that, as usually, you'll do everything to get championship. You're wonderful and the best driver, don't forget about it, think positive, as always:) Your self-confident, that you never give up, makes me stronger so... be the same funny, smiling and charming, as you were. Greetings from Poland! Besos :*
  • Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 08:06 by Marina
    That race was really tough, and everything seemed to be working against you, but, as always, you still did some awesome driving. You're totally one of the best drivers out there, always able to work your way up and overtake other drivers, even if you have a bad start. I'm looking forward to watching you race again, and I know you will do your best as always. Keep going--and going fast! ;)
  • Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 09:37 by iulian
    Fernando i am from Bulgaria. We(your fans) belive in you and you must belive in yourself. Never give up. You are the best pilot.You can do it Alonso. We always stand behind you.We are happy when you win, We are sad when you have bad weekend.I have not seen you in a live race but I hope this can happen.Good luck, I know you can win. Win for your fans but remember to win you must believe in your self. Greetings from Bulgaria hope someday I can come to watch your race.
  • Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 09:54 by Alfredo
    Don´t give up.!!! I´m sure that I will see you wining on MONZA again. And I hope five race more this year.
  • Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 10:58 by Nagore
    Hi Fernando!! Good luck for next weekend, your first race with Ferrari in Monza. Enjoy it as much as you can. Listen, don't forget to add the 25 points, ok? haha. Best wishes champion! Un saludo
  • Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 11:02 by Alex
    Hi Fernando! I'm crossed fingers hoping a luck change from now! I can not believe all the impediments wich had appeared this season... but now we are sure about you are focused in the future races, so you will give your best and it would be enough to arrive to the top head! In Barcelona we are with you! Come on Fernando, you can!
  • Friday, 3 Sep 2010 04:07 by junko
    You will be the world champion!!!! I believe you. You can do this!!! From Japan ;-)
  • Friday, 3 Sep 2010 11:08 by Mr NMD
    Hi Fernando, 300 points more to score. The top guy now does not have even 200 points yet. From the time you were champions driving for renault I have had the feeling that you will emerge again a champion soon. Now you are with Ferari ......a team which most racers would dream to be part of. I feel that you can be champion for more than 5 years to come. Try hard this year. Train, keep fit and go for it. Continue that next year. Mr NMD, Singapore
  • Friday, 3 Sep 2010 12:43 by Jo
    One race at a time Fernando, your ardent fans like me will always be your fans whatever you do. Keep cool you can do it!!
  • Friday, 3 Sep 2010 04:22 by MCTAN
    It was a disappointing result in SPA. But I am always support you. I am very confident that you can have a very strong result in this coming GP.Good luck.... Support from M'sia
  • Friday, 3 Sep 2010 04:43 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...one more week to go for the free practice....We couldn't wait to see you and your team fighting back the championship leader!! please always remember we fans are all with you!! lots of hugs from Taiwan & Australia..
  • Friday, 3 Sep 2010 04:44 by Reno Spiteri
    Hi Nando, I have been a fan of yours since your early days. I have supported you through the good and bad years. This year you are also driving for Scuderia Ferrari, so that makes you extra special. You need a better performing car, and much, much better team work, strategy and tactics. To win the WDC you need at least to win three races, and get podium finishes in the other three. There is no room for mistakes and incidents. You did it with Renault in 05 and 06. You can do it with the Scuderia this year. Go for it. Reno.
  • Friday, 3 Sep 2010 08:13 by Andrea
    Forza Nando! Abbiamo una corsa stupefacente a Monza. Potete farli! Siete il nostro campione. Più, siete bello.
  • Friday, 3 Sep 2010 10:32 by nada
    hi alonso ,, im one if your biggest fan since the early days and I am sure you will not give up and you will be able to win the championship. and i wish you all the best.
  • Monday, 6 Sep 2010 10:15 by hassan issawi
    goooooooooooooooooooooooooo fernando you are the best please we must win in monzaa plzzzz you are perfectt
  • Tuesday, 7 Sep 2010 12:08 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano....We are ready and looking forward to see you fighting back the position!!The very best LUCK to you and your team...TOMA TOMA TOMA.:))))
  • Tuesday, 7 Sep 2010 09:32 by nada
    hello Nando,, im one of your biggest fan and i wish you all the best in Monza.good luck :) "Bahrain"
  • Wednesday, 8 Sep 2010 08:33 by Enshine
    Fernando ,There's no way you can lose. you are a shoo-in!gooooooooooo,best wishes!

Comments: