Continuity is the cornerstone to winning

August 3, 2010 · Posted by Fernando Alonso

I am in Maranello for a few days to be as well prepared as possible for the final part of the season and specifically, the Belgian Grand Prix, the first round on the calendar after the summer break.

We have moved into the final third of the season, so it’s time to sum it up so far. I think we can be pleased with what we have done to date. We are still in the fight for the championship, which is the most important thing. It’s true that some races have gone better than others, just as there were some lucky breaks and times when bad luck seemed to follow us around, but I believe these things tend to balance out. Over the last two races, we have considerably reduced the gap to the championship leader. There are five of us all within twenty points, so it’s as if we are starting from square one: from now to the end of the championship we can expect seven finals. We must have a lot of respect for everyone. McLaren has been very strong, especially Hamilton and Red Bull has shown it always has a competitive car. This is a time to stay cool, without succumbing to the tension that will grow with every passing race, on the track and away from it. We will need to be clever to manage this situation, staying calm at all times.

We always aim for the win, but there was no chance of that in Budapest, which I was definitely not pleased about. However, we know some tracks suit our car more and others are more suited to our competitors: we must try and win the races where our car is strong and finish second in the others, as was the case in Budapest. Continuity will be the cornerstone to this title fight. It was surprising to see how the relative performance between us and Red Bull changed in the space of a week! I reckon that actually our performance is pretty similar, especially in comparison to McLaren, Mercedes and Renault and that maybe in Germany, the Red Bull car was not so competitive, while it was at its maximum in Hungary on a track that was a perfect match for its characteristics.

The break comes at the right time. July was very busy with three races in four weeks: drivers, mechanics, the whole team, we all need a rest after this rush. We set ourselves the target of reducing the points gap and we did it. Now is the time to ensure we have the right spirit in which to tackle the final seven races.

I won’t be doing anything special over the next few weeks. After leaving Maranello, I will stay with my family, partly in Switzerland and partly in Spain: no travelling, no airports, just relaxing! In my career, I have been in the fight for the title three times, from 2005 to 2007. Twice I was in the role of the hare, so I can appreciate the different situations that arise, even if does not mean much. When you are in the lead, it is very stressful if you lose points, but when you are trying to catch up you are aware that you cannot afford to make any mistakes, even if it is a nice feeling in a team when you know you are starting to fight back. As I said earlier, for us the most important thing from now to Abu Dhabi is to try and always finish on the podium: it won’t be vital to win at all costs, but whoever gets six or seven podiums will be champion.

In a few weeks, we will be at Spa, definitely the most enjoyable circuit to drive. It is a very long track, with every type of corner and climbs and drops and it gives you a fantastic feeling. There are tracks as nice as Spa, for example, I like Malaysia a lot and Monaco has a special atmosphere, but all the same, the Ardennes track is unique.

• Tuesday, 3 Aug 2010 06:51 by Ana maria
    Have a nice holiday Fern, you really deserve it! Also, very happy birthday (l know l'm late, but l was on holiday and had noooooo computer...lol) Gather all the energy you can during these 3 weeks and come back stronger to fight for your fourth championship! (yep, 4th, cause 2007 is yours too to me). luv ana
  • Tuesday, 3 Aug 2010 06:53 by kim canada
    Thank you Fernando for the wonderful outcome so far. You have worked so hard, and you deserve this rest. Enjoy your time with family and come back stronger than ever. Love you lots Kim (Canada)
  • Tuesday, 3 Aug 2010 08:14 by Camila
    Hi Fernado, TOMA! TOMA! TOMA! Congratulations by the excellent race! Congratulations engineers by the car! Congratulations mechanics by the perfection in pit stop! Congratulations Scuderia Ferrari! I hope that the F10 will be more competitive in Spa. I believe in talent of engineers and I believe in your exceptional talent. I still believe that you will be champion! I'm cheering very much for you! "Es el Nano el que nos llena de ilusión cuando se sube en su FERRARI, Magic Alonso!". Good luck in Spa! Go Magic Alonso! Campeón del Mundo! Best wishes! Camila from Brazil.
  • Tuesday, 3 Aug 2010 08:48 by Manuel opez
    Hola Fernando Alonso, well done on your great race in Hungary, trully magnificent. have a well deserved and happy rest and we look forward to see you wining at Spa. Manuel Lopez (Glasgow & Otura-Granada)
  • Wednesday, 4 Aug 2010 12:01 by Ally
    It's been a great couple of weeks for you and the team, the efforts and achievements to close the points gap in both drivers and contructors standings were amazing and you all deserve your few weeks off. Thanks for entertaining us with some spectacular driving/racing. Enjoy your time off. Ally in Norwich, UK
  • Wednesday, 4 Aug 2010 09:34 by claire vandamme
    Dear Fernando, congratulations with your great drive and the great result last weekend ! I wish you a very happy holiday ! See you in Francorchamps, kind regards, Claire from Belgium.
  • Wednesday, 4 Aug 2010 01:59 by Murali Nair
    Go Fernando Go!! Im confident that you are Going to win the Championship...
  • Wednesday, 4 Aug 2010 02:34 by Caroline Swanson
    Relax and enjoy the time with your family Fernando. When you return to work ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK! Love from Liverpool xx
  • Wednesday, 4 Aug 2010 05:04 by Jessica
    Take a good rest, Nano! I have no doubt at all that you are the champion of the 2010 WDC. Now I just need to wait and see you on the final podium! Good luck! The season is indeed very long but you really do it well! Take care
  • Wednesday, 4 Aug 2010 09:33 by F430ScudMC
    Forza Ferrari! Great job this past weekend in Hungary Fernando! From all the tifosi in the USA, have a great Summer break and then it's ON!!
  • Thursday, 5 Aug 2010 10:32 by nereaf1
    Hi, Fernando! Spa is my favourite track, I hope to go to see F1 there in one or two years. I think you can win there in Belgium :) Have a good time with your family :)
  • Thursday, 5 Aug 2010 05:34 by Angela
    Good luck in the next round!!!See u there....kisses
  • Friday, 6 Aug 2010 04:42 by FAsterNano
    Hi Nano...You really need a good break and recharge batteries after 12 races!! We are all believe in you,also we will never ever give up on you and your team no matter what..Looking forward to the first race return in few weeks time!! Meanwhile,enjoy the time with your family..take care Fernando,we miss you!!
  • Friday, 6 Aug 2010 01:07 by susie
    Hi Fernando! This Sunday I could not see the race. I was on holiday in the mountain, without the possibility of watching television. But everyone has told me that it was a great race. Congratulations! I will go to see you in Spa (eau rouge). I hope that we can have a new podium. ¡Te deseo unas felices vacaciones desde Sabadell (Susie)!
  • Friday, 6 Aug 2010 02:28 by Marta
    Good Morning, my dear!! I wish great holiday and come back winner!! Get enough rest, take time to relax, I know it must be very tiring all this traveling and nothing better than spending time with family! Felices vacaciones! Muchos besitos! Martha from Brazil.
  • Sunday, 8 Aug 2010 06:31 by Gyaneszto
    Hola Fernando! It was very fantastic to see you on the podium on the Hungaroring again!Congratulation!You and the whole team gave us a very nice weekend in Budapest!Thanks! Edit from Hungary.
  • Monday, 9 Aug 2010 11:01 by
    Hello Fernando! Your Hungarian race was fantastic, I was stressed during the whole event, but you gave us a perfect result :) Thank you! Relax a lot on your holiday, because we need all of your strength and motivation from now on. I'm sure you'll win the championship, you deserve it! Love you! L. from Hungary
  • Sunday, 15 Aug 2010 12:34 by Lehel
    Go Fernando,go!You can be champion,i belive in this!So come on,push it har,like hell in this last period! And ofcourse,congratulations for the last races,you were brilliant! have fun in your holiday!
  • Monday, 16 Aug 2010 12:45 by Varun
    Hola Fernando. I am one of your big fan since the time you started racing in F1, back in 2001. You are a great competitor and I am sure that you and Ferrari will be able to get more podium finishes in this third and final stage of this years season and you will be this years Champeon. Good luck... from India.
  • Tuesday, 17 Aug 2010 03:35 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...just quick note to let you know that we didn't forget you yet...We really miss you heaps..couldn't wait the next race return in SPA...love to see you and your F10 back to the track...and Hope you are having great great time on your break..!! Forza Fernando...!! yours supporters always...:)
  • Thursday, 19 Aug 2010 06:13 by kimcanada
    Hi Fernando, here it is Aug 19th, can't believe I have to wait another week!! I miss you, I miss the racing, I miss the excitment! One more long week to wait, I hope you are having a great vacation. Do you miss us too?? Waiting for the 27th. Hugs and kisses Kim (Canada)
  • Friday, 20 Aug 2010 02:31 by Hedi
    You are the best Fernando...
  • Saturday, 21 Aug 2010 07:16 by Carlos
    Hi Fernando. Congratulations and thanks for the good time we had watching your races in Germany and Hungary. My feeling is that other teams are afraid because you and Ferrari have real chances to win the F1 championship this year. Go Fernando! go Ferrari! (Moralzarzal - Madrid)
  • Saturday, 21 Aug 2010 11:58 by Lithuania for Ferrari F1
    Go Ferrari go. You must be numero uno at the end. Good luck.
  • Sunday, 22 Aug 2010 06:06 by Chris
    Fernando World Champion 2010!!!!!!
  • Monday, 23 Aug 2010 07:51 by FAsterEvaNano
    Hi Nano...Finally,there are only few more days to go for next GP...I believe you have rechaged full batteries in these days and ready to bring it on...We are looking forward to see your best performance and coming victories....:) Go Champion ,Go FAster..!!
  • Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010 07:50 by Luiz Henrique Morais Carvalho
    Hi Alonso, I was fan of A. Senna in past,nowadays I wanna see you Champion of 2010.Good luck!! Brazil
  • Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 08:05 by olivia
    i miss u ·fernando,just be yourself

Comments: