A special feeling racing in front of red and blue grandstands

May 5, 2010 · Posted by Fernando Alonso

Here we are, with just a few hours to go before my first race for Ferrari in Spain. The Barcelona event has always been special for me. I am sure that this year, the dominant colour in the grandstands will be red, from the Ferrari and Spanish flags, along with the blue of my fans from Asturias. It will give me extra motivation to see so many flags, when I’m in the cockpit of the car and it would be great to give all the fans the result they are waiting for.

After coming home from China, we finally got a slightly longer break after the frenetic start to the season. I made the most of it to do some training and I was always in touch with the team to follow the development programme on the F10. In a championship like this one, you need to push very hard to try and improve the car at every race: it doesn’t take much to make a difference, either on the plus side or the minus.

I also spent a few days in Maranello to meet with the engineers and work on the simulator. One particular test we did involved evaluating the new management system for the blown rear wing, which I had partly tried on Friday in Shanghai. We did a lot of work on this system in the wind tunnel and Giancarlo was able to try it on the car last Saturday at Vairano. The first signs were good, but Felipe and I have to give it a good test in the two free practice sessions on Friday, before deciding whether or not to use it in qualifying and the race.

This morning I was in Madrid for an event organised by the RACC and eSafety, along with the FIA Foundation which promotes electronic driver aids on road cars. Also there with me were Carlos Sainz, FIA President Jean Todt, Sebastian Salvado and Carlos Gracia, respectively the presidents of the Automobile Club of Catalunya and the Spanish Motor Sport Federation. It’s always nice to be able to do something to improve road safety: the understanding and use of technologies such as ESC (Electronic Stability Control) and predictive braking can be very important, but most of all they can contribute to saving thousands of lives.

• Wednesday, 5 May 2010 04:34 by Caroline Swanson
    Looking forward to seeing you on the top step on Sunday Fernando! Love from Liverpool xx
  • Wednesday, 5 May 2010 04:59 by Alberto
    Nice to read from you again. I hope you'll enjoy your first home GP of the 2010 season, and also the first dressed in red. I will be cheering you from the other side of my TV. Good luck and have fun!
  • Wednesday, 5 May 2010 05:39 by FAsternano
    Hi Nano...Glad to hear all these,also good to know the development on F10..Sure there will be beautiful beautiful colours all around the grandstand..Looking forward to see you on the pole position in your home race..We are all very very happy for you..All the best to you Fernando..Go FAster..:)))) ..TOMA...
  • Wednesday, 5 May 2010 06:29 by kim Tobin
    Halo Fernando Looking forward to watching you this weekend. I know that you will be great as always. I will be riding along with you for every breathtaking minute of the race. Please remember, be safe, and know that the Ferrari carries with it the most precious cargo. Hugs and Kisses, love from Canada
  • Wednesday, 5 May 2010 09:18 by gp1
    Go on Fernando,. show us at your home race how good you are. If you keep on your motivation and make enough practise,then maybe some day you will be as good as Kimi
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 03:08 by arvind bhosle
    I am a great fan of ur team I hope both will win in spain
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 05:50 by Jingjing
    Fernando,home race,good luck! Best wishes from Beijing.
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 12:19 by Dev Daswani
    Fernando Alonso...:) ive never had a chance to directly write to u even if im one of your biggest fans since ur debut in the F1 Circus in Minardi and especially in renault when u had the number 8 on your car a few years before your 1st championship. This race i wish u all the best...i cannot wait to see u win another race for ferrari! especially in ur home town. Vamos fernando! ERES EL MEJOR!!
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 12:29 by Dev Daswani
    Fernando...i just wanted to say that your victories in F1 make my day. Please give us one more this weekend! VAMOS FERNANDOOOO
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 02:13 by lynne
    hey, this is big fan from China, hahah, i bought the ticket for Singapore GP..c u in Sg, best wish for this weekend.
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 04:33 by Johny Guapo
    We hope you win this race for Ferrari and Spain. Buena Suerte! Your Tifosi in Texas
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 05:01 by Marta
    Hi Fe, I hope you get another win! It will be nice to see him win at Barcelona, his home! Good luck, my dear! Thousand kisses.
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 05:13 by Malcolm
    Go faster Fernando you all Know you can do it for your home crowd and for me with my new cap.
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 05:39 by Tan Le Cong
    I am not only a fan of you but also Ferrari. Many Vietnamese like me also love F1. Wish that you and Felipe would have great races after not expected results in the first 4 races. We will alwayls besides you! Try hard Alonso!
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 06:04 by Laura
    hi from spain magic!!!!thank you very much for write here.I wish you very good luck this weekend.y recuerda:FASTER.kisses and hugs for you.Laura
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 06:32 by Fanny
    Hey Nando! You are the best pilot in the world! You will win in Barcelona ;)Goood luck:D
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 07:17 by amanda smith
    i am an obsessed Fernando fan, i want to wish you all the best for this weekend, GO FERNANDO GO, you can do it, i BELIEVE in you, huggs from England xx
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 07:25 by Fanny
    Hi Nando :Đ You are the best pilot in the world. You will win and you will have a pole position in your home race /Barcelona/. Good luck! Love from Hungary <33
  • Thursday, 6 May 2010 09:46 by
    Vamos Alonso! Best of luck in Spanish grand prix from Latvia ;)
  • Friday, 7 May 2010 01:19 by sammy
    hi fernando its me sammy barr in texas i cant wait for the next race i hope yall both get in the top three and get first and second place from your friend sammy in texas p.s. iam tavosi.
  • Friday, 7 May 2010 04:36 by Patrick
    Best of luck this weekend Fernando from Ohio USA!
  • Friday, 7 May 2010 05:43 by JJ
    Good luck in the race
  • Saturday, 8 May 2010 03:50 by nino
    Good luck Champ!!!
  • Sunday, 9 May 2010 03:13 by Johny Guapo
    Congrats on your podium! Your Spanish fans were so happy as were your Texas Tifosi!
  • Sunday, 9 May 2010 03:18 by olvido
    hi.nano!i was so excited to see u in the second place.good luck in next race.i know u will win the champian next time ,i am sure!
  • Sunday, 9 May 2010 04:30 by Nerea
    Great race Fernando, congratulations! Once again, you have made us proud to be Spanish. You know that in Spain, the blue tide ( well and red haha ) always will support you, stay in the position to stay, this is your home. This is your year, you know that and we know it. C'MON MAGIC ALONSO. Kisses of a Big fan, from Barcelona :)
  • Monday, 10 May 2010 03:51 by Mark Stephens
    Congratulations on P2 Fernando! You ran a great race and you were in the exact correct position with opportunity came knocking! Looking forward to watching you in Monaco this coming weekend!!! Best of Luck!!!
  • Monday, 10 May 2010 09:26 by
    Fernando, although I'm happy for you for the 2nd place you've got in your home race I believe there's still a lot of work to be done in terms of the car's perfomance which I think wasn't really capable of getting on the podium should nothing happened to Vettel and Hamilton and I know you know that too. I hate to say this but I think Mclaren have surpassed Ferrari in terms of car development. They seemed to be slightly quicker as far as Hamilton's qualifying and race pace are concerned. Thus, instead of making a step forward, Ferrari, to me, have taken a little step backward. I hope I'm wrong but we know Barcelona is such a representative track. If you fast there, you'll likely to be fast on any other track. Not to mention Red Bull have taken a big step forward and they seem to be pulling away from you guys. Having said that, I really hope Ferrari will have a good race in Monaco. Would love to see a Ferrari 1-2 again. Though, I dont know if that's possible. Only time will tell. But we know you and Ferrari will do everything in your power to get the best results possible and we are totally behind you and will be cheering for you.
  • Monday, 10 May 2010 11:15 by kim tobin
    Congratulations Fernando!!!! Second is great, you were amazing again this weekend as always. I know you will be champion this year, no one deserves it more than you! Hugs and Kisses, love from Canada
  • Monday, 10 May 2010 01:43 by Marta
    Congratulations, FE!! You were brilliant in Barcelona, showed again the excellent pilot who is! Thank you my dear for the lovely gift that came to see him on the podium! Kisses from your number 1 fan! Marta of Brazil.
  • Monday, 10 May 2010 01:52 by blueandsunny
    Keep Going ! You are the best ! a fan from Shanghai,China.
  • Monday, 10 May 2010 02:02 by Caroline Swanson
    As Kate Bush sang 30 years ago,WOW WOW WOW WOW!!! Great home race for you Fernando, love from Liverpool xx
  • Monday, 10 May 2010 04:23 by
    Amazing race Fernando, congratulations! You make the most of the car on every race! You are incredible! I am always with you! L. from Hungary
  • Monday, 10 May 2010 05:48 by willy
    congratulations Fernando for your magic race in Spain this w-end . The rossa was not the best car on the track but with you behind the wheel , the rossa is another car ! Big attack , big talent , big heart and podium on the finish line ! How did you do that Fernando ! Thanks for this pleasure and good luck for the Monaco race next w-end . Forza FERRARI and Forza FERNANDO ! Willy from bergerac in france
  • Monday, 10 May 2010 09:47 by nereaf1
    Congratulations for your 2nd yesterday, it was a great ending for a quite boring race, and congratulations also for your good place in the Championship. I think the two Red Bull will be impossible to catch again in Monaco, but I now you will give it all like always. Kisses from Asturias :)

Comments: