"Ready for a proper start"

March 12, 2010 · Posted by Fernando Alonso

Sakhir - Dear friends of Ferrari.com: finally here we are! After two intense months, on an off the track, the Formula 1 season is about to start – my first season with the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro. I immediately felt at home with my new team and I can’t wait for the Championship, which will be extremely interesting, to start.

I arrived in Bahrain on Monday evening and there’s quite a difference between the climate here and in Europe, where it seems that winter won’t end. Here it’s hot, but it’s not humid, so it’s actually quite pleasant being outside. The climate will be an important factor during this weekend, because we’ll see how the cars and the tyres behave with very high temperatures.
During the tests in February we drove with no more than around 25°C while here the temperatures are over 30°C: we’ve got to understand how the tyres work under these conditions, also because last year’s points of reference are very relative. And if the new rules weren’t enough this first race is held on an extremely modified track compared to the previous editions. This morning I went around the track on a bicycle with my race engineer and I have to say that I found a very different, more guided track: this will not be the traditional stop-and-go track it once was. The lap time here will be the highest of all the tracks in the Championship, even higher than the one in Spa, which is a track with over seven kilometres. The new section is a series of corners with medium speed, requiring a higher downforce compared to the past and which will make the track more severe for the tyres. For sure there will be a reason to drive more on Friday morning, although we have to remember that the track will still be pretty dirty.

I know that there are great expectations from our fans for this start of the Championship. I can confirm that I feel that we are well prepared. The team has worked with great attention and dedication, and we could see the results: we’ve demonstrated a good level of reliability and also performance is on a level with the best. The F10 is an excellent car: I’ve said that several times; for me it’s the best car I’ve driven so far. This doesn’t mean that it necessarily is the best overall car and that we’ll win the title. What we could see during the tests is that there’s a great balance: a small bit is enough to make the difference – positive or negative. What’s for sure is that we’ll give it our all for a proper start of this Championship: this is my promise to all of you.

• Friday, 12 Mar 2010 08:44 by Andrey_86
    We wish you the best Fernando ! We know that lost year you were a real Bear Grylls in surviving in the race without water, so all of us know that you usualy do your best! We are supporting you!;)
  • Saturday, 13 Mar 2010 05:10 by Kata
    Fernandoooo!!!!! :D You were very good today!!! I wish the bests for tomorrow!!! You looks great in red :D We love you in Hungary!!!!!
  • Sunday, 14 Mar 2010 02:39 by joaquin arribas
    Alonso...Alonso...Alonso... you´re the one your are the best of the best thank for all thanks for your and your team this Victory thank you tank you
  • Sunday, 14 Mar 2010 05:22 by sergio casanova segura
    congrats bravo alonso, you will be champion.
  • Sunday, 14 Mar 2010 07:01 by Marco Herrmann
    You are my favourite driver in Formula 1 this year, so I will support you every race. But I am not the only person who does; there are millions of people around the world who like to see you winning races. I am very happy that you won Bahrain GP and I hope that you are going to win more races and finally become World Champion. Good Luck for the next races, Fernando
  • Sunday, 14 Mar 2010 10:36 by Sergey
    Fernando's bravo! My congratulations on the first victory in a nice Ferrari team! So to hold! Ferrari are the champion!
  • Monday, 15 Mar 2010 01:05 by Fernando Matias II
    WOW! great start Alonzo, I know that you will be the world champion again this year specially now that you are driving the ultimate car! Good luck to you and Felipe and to all the engineers and technicians at Ferrari.
  • Monday, 15 Mar 2010 02:33 by Sotirios Siolis
    Great job Fernando. You really are with the best racing team in the world. I hope you enjoy it as much as possible. I never thought I'd be cheering for you since I'm pro-Schumi but I have been expecting your arrival to Ferrari as a new age of victories for the team. Have fun and enjoy what I can only dream of!
  • Monday, 15 Mar 2010 10:07 by Ahad
    yeahhh! BRAVO FERNANDO..i am your biggest fan on earth alive..i was so overjoyed to see you on the top step of the podium that i was literaly jumping in the air..1st place is where you deserve to be.You are the best driver in f1 alive..and ill always support you till the end of the your career.Congratualtions on your victory for Bahrain Grandprix..But i am sure this is just the start to your dominance this year..FORZA ALONSO FORZA ferrari 2010 world champions! TOMA yeahhh baby!
  • Thursday, 1 Apr 2010 09:43 by xhrisfx
    great job fernando. good fight with hami. it was a lesson for him. chrisfx from saloniki Greece. forza scuderia

Comments: