Exceptional historical F1 single-seaters at Bahrain paddock - The Bernie Ecclestone Grand Prix Heritage Collection
Sakhir, 25th April 2009 – An exceptional exhibition has been set up at the Sakhir international circuit. To remove any doubt about Bernie Ecclestone’s wealth it’s enough to visit his Formula 1 single-seater collection. The FOM boss brought around 30 of the most beautiful cars from his collection to Bahrain, now exposed outside the paddock. The cars represent the evolution in Formula 1 over the last 59 years, with some of the most significant models, such as the Ferrari, driven by Froilan Gonzales to win the first GP for the Prancing Horse in July 1951. But there is also the splendid 312 T2, driven by Reutemann, with its chassis T2 29 from the year 1977. This car represents the technological innovation by Mauro Forghieri, who, in the year 1970, introduced the first flat 12-cylinder 3-litre engine. Furthermore there is the 1966 312 F1 - born due to the modifications for the 3-litre engine – John Surtees drove to victory for Ferrari. Then there is a 1964 1512 with a reduced engine of 1500 cc, but with 220 to 225 bhp and its so-called “Swiss watch” design for the limited power output. Two 1955 Super Squalo models with their enormous 4-cylinder engines fitted into a 1957 Lancia Ferrari bodywork with a yellow and light blue nose can be seen at the paddock. It is said that the car was driven by Fangio, who wanted the light blue on its nose, so he didn’t have to race a car painted in the Spanish national colours. An exceptional exhibition, but only a small part of the Bernie Ecclestone Grand Prix Heritage Collection.