Anything can happen

June 17, 2010 · Posted by Felipe Massa

I got back home from Canada on Monday, which meant I was in plenty of time to watch Brazil’s first game in the World Cup against North Korea. To be honest, I expected something better, as their style of play was not that exciting and not very “Brazil.” Anyway, the important thing is that we won, which is what counts at the end. Probably the fact it was the first game meant the teams are very aware they need to make a good start and so do not play as well as they are able. We are up against two good teams next, Ivory Coast and Portugal so it will be important to do well in this first qualifying stage.

If I expected something better from the football, you could use the same words to describe how I felt about the Canadian Grand Prix. It was a bad weekend, especially when you consider I had a very good car for the race and was expecting to pick up a significant number of points. But then I was caught up in the accident at the first corner, sandwiched between Button and Liuzzi, which removed any chance of a clean race and a strong finish. I had a good start and was making up places on the way to the first corner, but then I had to pit for a new nose and that was it. Even after that setback, I was heading for the points in the closing stages: I was tenth, but Michael (Schumacher) who was ahead of me was much slower, maybe three seconds and Buemi in front of him was also slow, so I was in with a chance of finishing eighth. But then came the problem with Michael. He closed the door on me too much. He braked on the right and moved across to the left where I was. There was nothing I could do, as I was already on the limit of my braking and when he moved across even more, he broke my front wing.

On the positive side, the car was much more competitive in Canada than in Turkey, which is a good basis on which to go to Valencia for the next race. The street circuit there is not so different in terms of its characteristics to the Montreal track and on top of that, we expect to have some more updates for the F10 to make it even more competitive with those ahead of us in the championship. Valencia has not produced very exciting races so far, but I enjoy the track, as the only time I have raced there, in 2008 – it was one of the races I missed last year after my accident – I won. It would be nice to think we could be in with a chance of doing the same again this time.

Before going to Valencia, today I am in Maranello to prepare for the next race on the simulator. I enjoy this preparation, as it is very similar to doing a normal day of testing at a real circuit, as you drive from early in the morning until the end of the afternoon. We see how the car works, starting with a set-up mainly based on the previous year’s race and then we can change just about everything, as you would do in real life at the track. We even use it to test new components that have never been fitted on the car before and I am linked by radio to my race engineer, just as I would be in reality. Then I will return home to spend the weekend in Monaco, probably watching more of the World Cup, after which it will be time to head for Valencia and the chance to make up for the disappointment of Canada. With the unpredictable nature of this year’s championship anything can happen and I am sure we can be in the fight for the top places come Sunday in Spain.

• Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 06:40 by Canada
    Sorry for your bad luck in Canada Good luck next race
  • Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 09:48 by Sam
    Good Luck Mate. Really hope you can get a good result to put you back near the front of the championship. Forza Massa
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 02:54 by Ashok
    Felipe, Canada was unlucky but the pace levels were right up there... Hopefully @ Valencia with the updates we wish to see u on the podium... Rubens wished you well @ Valencia last yr with a spl gesture and this yr i guess a podium will just be the way to return that gesture... Forza Felipe...
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 10:57 by denise
    good luck next race!
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 09:02 by aaro9
    I wish You Felipe good result, a win as allways offcourse i wish You. After Canada all of youre fans are starving for Youre succes. That race was sad, You had a good start, but Liuzzi destroyed the race, he shoud be penalised for that. Anyway i enjoyed youre great fight for points in this race. I hope that you will have a fantastic weekend in Valencia. We are with you Felipe.
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 09:17 by GabriEL
    I want you to win 2 or 3 races until Monza, because Scuderia Ferrari is alaways no.1, Good Luck Massa!!!
  • Saturday, 19 Jun 2010 07:24 by Rukshan Halpita
    Hi Filipe, i have been waiting to see you hit the top spot of the podium and herecome the chance at Valencia. Im sure you can repeat your 2008 success.. you are re signed and now have all the reasons to be agressive as you were in 2007 & 2008... we want to see real Filipe Massa atleast from Valencia... Good Luck and may god bless you with all strengths you need for a win in Valencia....
  • Sunday, 20 Jun 2010 07:42 by saravanan
    Hi felipe.. its a tough luck in Canada. But we want to see a felipe that we saw in 2008 season.. common you and team ferrari can do it..
  • Sunday, 20 Jun 2010 01:23 by Noe Izumi
    Canada wasn't your fault, you had an AMAZING start but the bad luck decided to cross in your way... You were simply amazing ... but that's racing... So I'm sure Valencia will be great, after all, you were the first one winning there and nobody can change that :-) Hope to see both you in the podium! Have tons of good luck, Felipe!!!
  • Monday, 21 Jun 2010 11:24 by
    Hi Felipe! Canada was just a bad luck, nothing more, cause you were great. Valencia will be better, i'm sure. Anyway, I'm so happy that you will be in Ferrari until 2012, maybe even longer(i hope :D). Best of luck in the rest of the season to Fernando, the team and especially you!
  • Monday, 21 Jun 2010 01:57 by S.Sun
    I think the champion isn't away.Good luck in Valencia,Felipe!
  • Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 07:19 by Jim
    Best of luck for your next race!!!
  • Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 04:51 by Renan Dutra
    Some say that with the birth of your child you would be slower, but I think it's the opposite, you now have one more reason to be faster than anyone, all of Brazil is in your cockpit cheering at every turn, force Felipe, Do your best and God will do what is best also, God bless the joy that you give us!
  • Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 05:45 by Mei
    The championship is not far away from you. All the best, and I look forward to your performance in Valencia!
  • Sunday, 27 Jun 2010 10:42 by Carol Cross
    I'm really sorry about what happened today in Valencia. It was so unfair and not the result you deserved.
  • Monday, 28 Jun 2010 09:16 by Florent
    Felipe, Brazil is playing as i am writing you, and they are playong the way you like it. You had a bad result yesterday because of the SC, a lot of bad conditions as well in Montreal. You are mature and you have the potential to go above all this, i have left a message to Fernando and i just want to tell you that i want to see Ferraris on the podium at Silverstone, It's a fast pace circuit, you know this corcuit, all that i ask you is to be on the podium. You have a great team, a good car and you are a very good driver, so enjoy your race there and feel the sweet taste of a one-two. I'm living in UK-Manchester, i've been with the team scuderia for the GT3000 last year in France, i'll try to get a ticket for your race week end in Silverstone, to cry and share this good come back of Ferraris on Top. take care, God bless and love to your lovely Family.
  • Tuesday, 29 Jun 2010 01:02 by Krystal
    All the best to you I hope the next race is a good one for you

Comments: