We were back to normal in Montreal

June 15, 2010 · Posted by Fernando Alonso

I’ve been back in Switzerland since yesterday morning already and I think that with the race having started at 12, lots of Formula 1 people made the most of it to get home quickly. A couple of days on from the race, the sense of disappointment that we missed out on a win that was within our grasp has been replaced with the awareness that we did actually get a great result. We have to look at it as a glass half full because, on the Thursday we would have been satisfied with the thought of a podium finish. We were competitive throughout the whole weekend, both in qualifying and the race, which is very positive. We were back to where we have been in practically all the other races, the one exception being Turkey, where for various reasons, everything about the Grand Prix went wrong, from every point of view. The normal situation is the one we have seen in Montreal, Monaco, Melbourne and Sakhir and all the other tracks where we fought for a podium finish. Maybe the results did not always match our potential, but I think the same can be said for all the top teams. In these first eight races of the season, all sorts of things happened – mistakes, reliability problems, bad luck – but we are still in the thick of the fight for both championships. The same can be said of McLaren and Red Bull, who have also missed out on points along the way.

The Montreal race was very spectacular and incident packed, not just because of the nature of the track, but also because of the different strategies chosen by the teams, as a function of the tyre performance. I think the spectators at the track and those watching on television really enjoyed it, but I can assure you that for the drivers and the teams, it was a difficult and stressful weekend, because it was never really clear how the tyres would react in the various situations that arose.

The next round is in Valencia in my home country. It will be nice to race in front of my fans and I would like to get on the podium again, given that Valencia is another circuit where I have never done so. We will have major updates on the F10 which I hope will allow us to up our performance level. Following on from that, we have further developments in the pipeline which should arrive for England and Germany: which is to say that the European Grand Prix is simply the ninth round of the championship, not a last ditch effort for Ferrari, which I heard some people saying. I don’t see how they can say that given that we have not even reached the halfway point of the season and that after Valencia there will still be ten Grands Prix to go. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again now, this is a stage event and the final one of those stages will not come until November in Abu Dhabi. There is still a long way to go and things can change very quickly, going either one way or the other. People seem to have forgotten that last year, in the middle part of the season and in a car that was getting ever less competitive, Kimi was the driver who had scored the most points.

• Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010 08:38 by Linas
    Hey Fernando, it was great to see you back on the podium! And as for Valencia/the rest of the season... I have a good feeling, which I'm sure you do too. Fingers crossed. Good luck in Valencia!
  • Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010 09:42 by Camila Borges Kaihatu
    Hi Fernando, you were amazing in Canada! Congratulations! I think that you will be very better in Valencia! The F10 was better in Canada. I believe in engineers's staff of Ferrari, I think that they have worked hard in the update package of F10 for Valencia, and that F10 will be better yet. You deserve to win in your country! Good luck in Valencia! Go Magic Alonso! Camila from Brazil.
  • Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010 09:52 by
    Hi fernando! Realy a very good race!! Not a win but it is so close maybe valencia!! That's the way we want to see Ferrari fight for the top! Go and take these championships!! We know we are the best team because any true Ferrari fan has ferrari as a part of him!!!
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 02:24 by Melisa
    Great weekend but could be better for sure after seeing the competitive performance of the car and of course you,the most talented driver of the grid:) It's great to see you Fernando on podium again and i hope with the developments we'll often see you there,and sure on top! :)) You're so right,there's still so much time to go and i believe everything's gonna be great day by day. And in Valencia, with great spectators and hometown fans, such a exciting race is waiting for us. With that great support and with the feeling of being at your home, you'll get amazing results and be the happiest one at the end of the weekend. You know, all around the world sooo many people are supoorting you and just want you to be happy. And this was one of them, Big Love, Big Support from Istanbul :)) Take care, Melisa
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 04:08 by Jessica
    You did a great job Fernando. Hopefully the updates brought will work next race in Valencia which is your second home race to get you back on the top of the standings. Anyway we will cheer you on as always. Surely wish you a good rest these days after a difficult race like that in Montreal and THANK YOU for your hard work and such a brilliant drive. I love you, my Fernando! bless from Shanghai:)
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 05:11 by Jessica
    And I want to add that the Mclaren and the Red Bull both got their dbl one-tow victories. If the Ferrari's turn doesn't come in a short term, the momentum maybe will be slipping away unobtrusively and gradually in every touch of disappointment. To be honest the performance level is apparently not good enough to get Ferrari back to the first place of both championships which is the team's initial goal. Therefore saying people that the car improvement has continuously being ongoing, a further big-step development is sensibly crucial. Fans want to see Fernando and Ferrari on the top of the standing tables. Don't let us down please. Having said that, I still believe in that the hard work will pay off. But whatever happens, I will back you up with my deepest trust.
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 08:52 by ElNano
    Hi Fernando! Congratulations on third place to you and Ferrari. I hope that now Ferrari will give you and Felipe good package to be in the front. It think that from now on Ferrari and you can show what you are made of. There is no better feeling then seeing you fighting in the front it always makes our hearts pump FASTER. Best luck in Valencia, from all fans in Croatia!!!!
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 08:58 by emil
    Lets hope everything will be good in the future for you. I have faith in you!!
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 10:45 by Melisa Koç
    Fernando you did your best in Montreal :) It was great to see you on podium again.I believe in Ferrari I'm sure performance of the car will improve in Valencia.Continue being positive! I love you and always be with you! Good Luck in Valencia ;) Take Care! Melisa Sevi Koç
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 11:25 by kim canada
    Hey Fernando It is great to hear you so postive. I think the Montreal race was exciting, from start to finish. You did a fantastic job, and I was thrilled to see you on the podium. I have no doubt that you will be champion. I look forward to the next race, but remember, you have loyal fans all over the world. You have alot of support always, you are never alone. To me, you are Formula one. Enjoy your time off. love you always Kim (Toronto Canada)
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 11:48 by sara
    Hi Fernando. First of all, congratulations, you did very good job and we were happy to see you back on three top. Then, we (me and my boyfriend) wanna tell u something. You've done well till now, but as you have repited constantly, dont get down, you need as much effort as you can make. C'mon, always be the best, and you have to show it. So just a sentence: KEEP ON PUSHING!!!!!
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 01:51 by Caroline Swanson
    Ignore the vacuous criticisms Fernando, don't concern yourself with others. Enjoy your time at home, love from Liverpool xx
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 02:11 by Ovif1
    I'm agree with you Fernando. The world championship it isn't lost yet. Only we have to fight a lot, and I'm sure that you and Ferrari will get to win in this season. Come on Fernando!!! Good luck in Valencia. Greetings.
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 02:49 by FAsternano
    Hi Nano...TOMA TOMA TOMA..Yes,we were back to normal in Montreal..Good to see you on the podium AGAIN (and will have more coming..).We are looking forward the next GP in your home country,the best wishes & luck to you and team...Like your attitude ""Never give up the championship"" ...(ps.have good break in next few days,especially enjoy the world cup today,15mins to go..ESP V SUI..Fingers crossed to ESP...!!) TOMA...
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 04:01 by Peter
    Great result Fernando! The win was near. Yes, shame of traffic but wins will come. In the next races you´ll destroy the mclaren. You are the best driver ! Good Luck from Slovakia ! Peter
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 06:19 by Julia G.
    Great job, 3rd place is very good result. I believe that you'll win in Valencia! Thanks Fernando for all! ;-)
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 07:14 by edin
    HI Champ.You are so right.In Canada you were fantastic,we could won,but 3rd is fantastic result.Just keep on going and remember WE ARE ALLWAYS WITH YOU.Vamos Campeon!!!!!!!Eddie-Slovenia!
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 07:48 by L from Canada
    Hello Fernando. Thank you for a fantastic race weekend in Montreal with a podium finish! (I was fortunate enough to be sitting along the pit lane right across from the Red Bull garage.) You were so strong all weekend and the crowd loved it, especially when you passed Hamilton. It was fabulous to see you up on the podium, right where you belong. All the best for a rewarding race in Valencia!
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 09:46 by Uro
    Go Alonso , you are the Number One.
  • Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 10:14 by nereaf1
    Hi Fernando, as you said the Montreal race was really spectacular for the spectators, and you and the Scuderia did very good job there. You didn't seem to be very happy at the podium ;) but I'm happy to see that now you have thought better about the race and realised it was a good result. I wish you good luck for Valencia, but you don't need it, I think you will win that race without any problem... :P And forget those people saying stupid things about the team, I think they know nothing about Ferrari's way of working. Greetings from Asturias :)
  • Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 06:18 by used car parts
    Thanks for sharing. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Nice one Fernando!
  • Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 07:00 by Jon
    As always, Alonso's analyses of race situation are astute, candid and accurate. Go win it ALonso!
  • Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 01:58 by mohamed abdel kareem
    i love fernando alonso and he will be 2010 world champion
  • Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 04:35 by Gyáni Edit
    Hola Fernando! It was a brilliant job!!!Thanks for the exciting race!But you would have been the winner,it was a nice result!!!I'm sure you will be the World Champion again,because you are THE BEST!!!We are waiting for you at the Hungaroring in Budapest!!! Edit from Hungary
  • Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 06:49 by
    Congratulations for your podium in Canada. It was surely a well-deserved one. Of course, it could've been way better. I was just as disappointed as other fans knowing that you got the pace to win the race but for whatever reason you didn't. But Im pretty sure it had nothing to do with the car's pace. The car was good enough in Canada. Probably Mclaren were a bit faster on the straight. But anyway, I hope the performance of the car stays like that in races to come, if not better. Ferrari have a good group of people and I know they can deliver. Next race is Valencia which is your home race. With that in mind, and a big upgrade on F10 Im sure you can do well. You are an exceptional driver Fernando. Show the world what you're worth.
  • Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 07:36 by Mujahid Rajani
    Hey Fernando... great race in Montreal, I believe you can get pole position and win the race in Valencia... You're going to win your third drivers championship this year because your an excellent hard working driver and you deserve to win it in a Ferrari. good luck :)
  • Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 08:36 by Peter
    Great job Fernando ! Shame of traffic but wins will come ! You are the best driver ! Good Luck from Slovakia ! Peter
  • Thursday, 17 Jun 2010 10:13 by CPE_AL-QUDS
    HI ALONSO, GREAT RESULT, GREAT RACE, I HOPE THAT IS THE FIRST STEP TO FIGHT BACK IN BOTH CHAMPIONCHS "ALONSO FOR EVER"
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 06:34 by imicky0525
    hola! Fernando ... Good luck in Valencia!
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 08:07 by Pablo
    Awesome race! I was praying than nothing would go wrong during qualifying and during the first lap, and thankfully it went better than expected (for me anyway). Personally, I was pretty happy with the result, though a bit furious when you lost your position against Button and Hamilton due to the sluggers. I wish everything goes perfect for once this season in Valencia! I am tired to listen about the new couple of the year (Button-Hamilton). Give them hell in Valencia! Aupa Alonso!
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 09:22 by Marie-Claire Vandamme
    Dear Fernando, I am glad to read that you are still happy with the result last weekend. I was a bit suprised to see your disappointment because you've got a podiumfinish achieved ! But after all, I understand, you are a winner, and being third is not winning ! I think it looks good for the next races, the car looks better and there are some updates to come. So I wish you every succes in Valencia, witch is a special race for you. I can not wait to see you back in action again. I'm a big fan of yours because I like formula 1 and I find you the best and most complete driver of all. If anyone deserves the drivers worldchampionstitle, it is you. Kind regards from Claire, Belgium.
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 02:17 by Nat.
    Fernando, you are the best. ;) This race was good, I'm happy that I could see you on the podium. I hope that the next race will be even better! Can't wait!
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 03:03 by Rahul
    Good going fernando was really nice to see you fighting...great race...you guys though need to get that blown rear wing fast...it will get you on par with RBR...the championship is really tight with this new points system...all the best any way
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 03:37 by Khurram Altaf
    You are the best driver. you drive agrassviely with technically. You never gave up and fight till last second. I wish this year you become third time world champion. best of luck. Khurram (Pakistan)
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 06:57 by Marija Ciganovic
    It was great to see you back on the podium! Congratulations! Yuo are the best... :) Fingers crossed...
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 07:11 by MareeFA
    It was great to see you back on the podium! Congratulations! You are the best... Fingers crossed... :)
  • Friday, 18 Jun 2010 09:25 by GabriEL
    Fernando, you will become third time world champion this year, no doubt, but after the VICTORY in Valencia, I need 7 more victory's from you!!! Best regards, GabriEL
  • Saturday, 19 Jun 2010 01:42 by alfemo
    Hi, Fernando!! Thanks for the great drive in Montreal. It was so exciting to see you on the podium. Now it can only be better from now on. Be positive and more podium finishes will follow. I can't wait to see the next race in Valencia. See you there!
  • Sunday, 20 Jun 2010 02:16 by Juan Batres
    Fernando great race I know that you did your best, its great to see that the team is pushing and Im confident that you guys will be world champions this year, good luck Ill be waiting for the Valencia race and I know that is going to be a great weekend for you, greetings from Honduras.
  • Sunday, 20 Jun 2010 11:14 by Alexey
    I trust Fernando in you! Support you since Minardi. I have seen at once in you talent. In Canada simply there was not your day. If you did not block you would be the first!
  • Sunday, 20 Jun 2010 10:31 by Phong
    Go Fernando. A big step forward in Montreal. I believe that you will be better in Valencia, for sure. You will be on top of the standing in Abu Dhabi in November. Phong (Vietnam)
  • Monday, 21 Jun 2010 10:48 by Marta
    Hi Fe, Good luck in Valencia! I believe he can win with his talent and determination! Kisses. Marta of Brazil.
  • Tuesday, 22 Jun 2010 05:39 by FAsternano
    Hi Nano...there are few days to go for European GP in your home country...I believe you are all ready to bring it on...Also I'm very happy for you of the ESP V HON..such the classic 2 goals!!..Looking forward ESP V CHI on Friday and the pole for you on this weekend..best best luck to you all..:) TOMA....yours supporters always from Taiwan & Australia..
  • Tuesday, 22 Jun 2010 07:07 by vinayak m
    hey good luck for europian gp. Hope you'll rock valencia's street with perfect race.
  • Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 07:46 by miwa
    Dear Nano It is a home country grand prix on the weekend. How about the physical condition? Can meet you of the smile at the center of the victory stand. 。 From Japan with love ‥ From [miwa].
  • Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 08:41 by Abd Rahaman Mohd Darus
    Good to hear The Ferraris are back on the podium. Keep up with this performance together with the team. I hope to see you and your partner together on the podium on rest of this year's race.
  • Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 11:33 by Nastya
    hi Fernando!Good luck and keep your eyes on the road! we believe in you we believe in Ferrari! Come on guys!
  • Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 02:04 by sarah
    hi fernando well done!knew you could do it! from England with love.sarah
  • Friday, 25 Jun 2010 04:28 by kim canada
    Great result in practice today Fernando Keep up the great pace Good luck tomorrow Love ya lots and lots and lots!!!!! Big hugs and kisses Kim (Toronto Canada)
  • Friday, 25 Jun 2010 09:47 by FAsternano
    Hi Nano..TOMA TOMA TOMA..!!! Congratulations you are on top of FP2 and your F10 working pretty good,we really love to see you are in front of everyone..:) Also,congratulations for the World Cup..what the great 2 goals made them through.BRAVO..Beautiful winning!!! I'm really happy for you and I truly believe it's the Spanish weekend..So bring it on Fernando,it's your turn now..GO ON TOP OF THE PODIUM..Go FAster..!! (ps.it's 6.40am in Australia,and I better go get some sleep!!) TOMA..
  • Saturday, 26 Jun 2010 02:32 by FAsternano
    Hi Nano..Congratulations P4 in Qualifying...The chance are still out there tomorrow!! so don't think too much,just Go Fight for..as your huge supporters will be there for you,even us from all around the world always believe in you..Calm and Push..Go Fernando,Go FAster..the best best luck to you ..:) TOMA..
  • Sunday, 27 Jun 2010 11:48 by olvido
    today is a special day for me!i really hope that u can get the champains today.as a present for me and all the fans!
  • Sunday, 27 Jun 2010 03:36 by FAsternano
    Hi Nano..My heart's broken and feel so horible to watch this race..I couldn't even imagin how you were on the track....The investigation is still on pending..Now,our fingers crossed and hope the best news come up....Fernando,you did great job,did the right thing and really honest today,that's why we love you and support you about...Gracias Nano ..
  • Sunday, 27 Jun 2010 04:02 by El Nano
    Fernando! When will your bad luck end? A podium finish looked to be in reach. but the SC and a slow race control ruined your race. I know you never give up, you WILL win WDC 2010
  • Sunday, 27 Jun 2010 04:44 by karthic
    hey fernando..sry for what happened in valencia..i am very disappointed...i like F1 coz of you..but i personally very happy for fan of u...and i want to say one thing about F1 rule was very bad...in valencia.....hamilton delibrately overtake the safty car but he finished 2nd. ferrarians are 9th&15th coz they have not done anything wrong. this is very unfair....whatever happened.....happened...now ferrari shd focus on development hopefully u wil be in podium at your nxt gp as well as u will beat mclaren.....all d best....i am always with u.....
  • Sunday, 27 Jun 2010 06:51 by Manuel Alvarez
    SHAME!!!. Vettel and Hamilton had been better off with the medic car. Their won a pit spit stop without the presion of the rest of pilots retained by the medic car. Five pilots broke the speed limit (penalty: 5 seconds), Hamilton brokes the safety rules (penalty: one drive through), two pilots won a pit stop without time (a organisation present) where is the compensation? I don't want to see manipulated races. The championship has been stolen.
  • Sunday, 27 Jun 2010 09:44 by karthic
  • Sunday, 27 Jun 2010 10:03 by Ayatolah
    Good way to move people from F1 to Nascar, DTM, Indy, or else... If there is justice in the world, Hamilton must be penalized with full points, minimum. It's a SAFETY CAR, the word "safety" is for something, you cannot speed up and overtake because YOU CAN KILL SOMEBODY cleaning or helping in the track...
  • Monday, 28 Jun 2010 05:03 by Murali Nair
    Hey Fernando... im very dissappointed.. i was jus counting days to c u winning in valencia after spectacular race in montreal.. i switched off my TV after that safety car incident... i wonder wen u'r badluck gonna end.. i'm still with u.. u r the champ.. u r still goin to winn championship... go Fernando! go! All the best for the next race..
  • Monday, 28 Jun 2010 06:27 by Kenneth
    30mins to come to a decision that Hamilton had overtaken the medical car? You must have been furious in the cockpit... I know I was. Then they slap on only a 5 sec penalty for the ones who speeded during the inlap when SC came out?! They damn sure, like Hamilton, gained alot more than that. I´m very disappointed of the outcome of this race. Extremely unfair for Ferrari and you. Still, I know what you can do and I know you will be back focused in the next race. Love from Sweden
  • Monday, 28 Jun 2010 09:32 by snafuracer
    Fernando, I feel very sorry for you and the team as a whole - this was a scandal. Nevertheless, it seems that you still run very well with not-so competitive car. I can only image if the car was fast as the Bull's one. Heads up, I want to see you even more determined next races.
  • Monday, 28 Jun 2010 09:47 by olvido
    hey!are u ok? yesterday i cried.it's unfair just as you said .but i know you have try your best .keep optimistic .and we will be always together with you! i want to see your big smile .just as the present for my birthday.
  • Monday, 28 Jun 2010 11:22 by JiseII
    Hi Fernando, you are very good pilot. Valencia have also been wronged.
  • Monday, 28 Jun 2010 11:42 by kim tobin
    Good morning Fernando I just want to say that I feel so bad for you about what happened on Sunday. It is not fair, but like you said, what can you do, just focus on the next race. SOME people don't follow the rules and it ruins it for everyone else, well I just hope they can feel good about themselves. Don't give it another thought, you did everything right, you did a perfect job out there. I knew you were upset, and that made me upset. Don't worry about disappointing the fans, we all love you so much and we saw what happened, not your fault in anyway. I love watching you race no matter what, as long as in the end you are safe, that is important. You are the best, we all know that. Not to worry Fernando, you get them next race. Big hugs, love ya lots Kim (Toronto Canada)
  • Monday, 28 Jun 2010 03:23 by Caroline Swanson
    Move on from Sundays misfortune Fernando. Focus on the positives from it...the reliability of the car with the updates and a few more points as well. Have a good break and I look forward to seeing you clean up ( pole, fastest lap and victory )at Silverstone! Love from Liverpool xx
  • Monday, 28 Jun 2010 08:05 by L from Canada
    Hello Fernando. What can I say about Valencia that we are not all thinking. You are passionate and talented. Keep your head held high as you did everything right. Karma will eventually catch up with 'Saint Hamilton'. Give them hell in Silverstone!
  • Monday, 28 Jun 2010 09:09 by Florent
    Hi Fernando, Every body saw what happened yesterday, and it's a shame. the team did a great job, the driver did their maximum, i mean Felipe and you, but the race turned in an unfair way, when you made a jump start in China they quickly took the decision, and yesterday they just couldn't see that Webber was fine and at least a yellow flag would have been enough. anyway stay focus on Silverstone, you know that Lewis and Jenson are getting prepared to make a show off here with the new upgrades, so try to take the maximum of your car in Silverstone, it's a nice and fast pace circuit taht i know by heart, so race your for your life there. Still 10 race so we will make the account in Abu Dhabi. I might be in Silverstone, because i live in UK-Manchester, i'm trying to get a sponsored ticket. If i can come then i'll be happy to see your face for your second victory this year. I really do believe it. take care and have a good time.
  • Tuesday, 29 Jun 2010 03:10 by FAsternano
    Hi Nano..How are you?? Hope you feel much better..(I had very terrible 2 days to get over all these..) And Now,,we need to move on and looking forward..because we couldn't change what's happened..!! The best thing we can do,FIGHT BACK in next GP..Get in fron of Ham and Get on top of the podium in from of all the BRITISH..WOW,we really love to watch that,(couldn't wait)...!!! And we all know you will do it..So Fernando,calm and cool..please have good rest and recharge the batteries,the best moment will be waiting for you in 2 weeks time!!! Also,enjoy the world cup tonight,the best luck for ESPANA..TOMA TOMA TOMA...yours supporter always from Taiwan & Australia xoxoxoxo
  • Tuesday, 29 Jun 2010 05:03 by PD
    Fernando....u did a great job even though the race results were not in favor of Ferrari....i think Valencia 2010 race was a shame for FIA and F1 and more importantly for Bernie, they must look back into the results of Valencia again...FIA, F1 and Bernie are getting biased....if this continues then F1 will surely loose it's charm....
  • Tuesday, 29 Jun 2010 11:28 by olvido
    hi!fernando,i don't know how to comfort u.but you know ,you are the best !good luck in the next racing.
  • Tuesday, 29 Jun 2010 04:23 by Chandy
    Hi Fernando, I still couldn't digest what happened to you, felippe and ferrari in valencia. It was one of the worst races i have ever seen. I was so optimistic that you will in podium and beat mclaren. Anyway i just want you to know that all ferrari fans are with you and only can beat the mclarens. Its your turn to give it back to them and hamilton. Please stop thinking what happened and give your best shot ahead. I believe you can still become world champion. That will be my happiest day. Good luck!

Comments: